Discover Card CHECKPAY Payment amount changed

Options
wdwyatt
wdwyatt Member ✭✭
Hello - I used CheckPay to make a payment to Discover Card for the balance due. The Check register and the Status inquiry show the original amount intended.
However, a few weeks later I see that canceled check and the credit card statement show that a different amount was paid.
Has anyone else seen this? It's a bit concerning that the amount authorized was changed somehow.
Quicken user since 1995 or so

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've seen this behavior when I've set up AUTOPAY at the credit card company.

I'll get a statement, reconcile the Quicken Account, then enter the payment in the amount of the statement balance in the checking Account. When the check clears it's frequently for a lesser amount than the statement balance, and that happens becuse the credit card company subtracts returns (refunds) from the statement amount when they pull the funds from the bank.

Could something like that be going on here?

• wdwyatt
    wdwyatt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hello Tom - thanks for your comment.
    However, my issue seems entirely within the Quicken CheckPay system. I have not set up any Autopay at the credit card company. I initiated the payment from within Quicken, and the cleared check shows it originated from the Quicken system.

From here, there seems to be an error in Quicken Checkpay following the instructions I submitted, which is concerning
    Quicken user since 1995 or so
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the check always less than the statement amount, more than the statement amount, or randomly higher and lower? If the payment is lower than the statement amount then it seem like you'd be incurring some interest expense on the credit card, unless it's lower because of "returns."

I've not used Quicken's payment service since it does seem to be a common problem topic in here. If you really want to figure this out then I"d say you'll have to contact Official Quicken Support and have them look into it. I've set my wife's Discover card on autopay with Discover and that's been rock-solid, haven't had a problem.

This discussion has been closed.