Reports Filter for Securities Selection [Edited]

Options
marcsfuller
marcsfuller Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports

I have been using Quicken for a long time. When I want to generate a report based on a select number of securities in my portfolio it generates a list of every security I have ever onwned, which numbers in the hundreds. It would be great is there was a filter that let you choose from only those securities that are in your current portfolio. Is this doable?

Thanks

3 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can go to Tools > Security List and check the Hidden box for any securities you to not want to include in the selection list.

Then on the report customization Securities tab, un-check the Show hidden securities box if it is checked.

QWin Premier subscription
  • marcsfuller
    marcsfuller Member ✭✭
    Options

This is nice, but Quicken should be smart enough to have a check box that shows only currently owned securities instead of doing it manually. This does not seem to be a hard feature to include.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just to be clear — Many investment reports currently default to only showing owned securities, and even the owned securities within selected accounts. But if the user wants a subset of those owned securities and goes to the Customize option, Securities Tab, the user is faced with defining the deisred subset of owned securities from the entire list of securities, or the entire list of non-hidden securities.

@marcsfuller would like on the customize / Securities Tab to be able to initially filter out non-owned securities much the way one can now filter out hidden securities. Perhaps below the "Show hidden securities" checkbox, a separate checkbox for "Show not currently owned securities"

That strikes me as a viable option provided it is interpretted as owned or not owned across all accounts. That is, toggling accounts under the adjacent Acocunts tab would not alter the list presented under the Securities tab.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Would everyone want currently owned securities? Owned at the end date of the report?Owned during the time period of the report? Ever owned?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman
    The idea as I understood it was to add an option to the Securities tab when customizing certain or all investment reports. Such option would simply limit the securities presented for that customization. I saw no implication as to what "everyone" might want.

There are time-frame implications. Going to the "ever owned" interpretation suggests to me the option would be ineffective. Similarly, limiting to the "currently owned" could prove misleading by being overly limiting. Care and clarity would be necessary.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I didn't mean to imply that everyone would to use the option. For a simple checkbox, I think it would be best to make it "owned as of the report's end date" rather than currently owned.

That would make it similar to the Portfolio views.

• T Gondesen
    T Gondesen Member ✭✭
    Options
    Getting a report of securities owned between X/X/XXXX and Y/Y/YYYY would be helpful.
    An option to automatically hide/unhide owned/unowned securities would also be good.
  • T Gondesen
    T Gondesen Member ✭✭
    Options
    Question:
    One Step Update Settings -> Online services has a checkbox to "Download quotes and investment information" with an option to "select quotes".
    The dialog box that opens is very cumbersome. Again, lots of securities to manage, one at a time.
    If the displayed Security List is not edited, are users downloading quotes for all securities, owned or not?
    If so, that's wasted bandwidth and file bloating data.
  • T Gondesen
    T Gondesen Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another report I'd like to see is one where the user selects one or more securities, and the report shows what accounts have those securities.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

You could use the Net Worth & Balances > Account Balances report.

On the Display tab, select Account Detail to show the securities in each account.

On the Accounts tab, select just the Investing accounts.

On the Securities tab, select the securities to include.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

If the displayed Security List is not edited, are users downloading quotes for all securities, owned or not? 

The downloaded quotes are for securities

• with valid tickers, and
    • checked in the security list (ctrl-y) to have quotes downloaded, and
    • either currently owned in an account or included in the watch list.