How to setup a Jackson Registered Index-Linked Annuity (edit)

Options
steam643
steam643 Member ✭✭

The statement is confusing. I have a redacted statement in PDF form and can maybe copy it.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken does not have any online setup options or specific account types for Annuities. There is no way to setup a linked Annuity security nor a linked Annuity account. It would be nice if there were a way to do that but I believe it is not possible for 2 primary reasons: 1) Annuities are not publicly traded securities (like mutual funds and stocks are) and 2) they are, instead, a type of insurance policy, not a type of brokerage investment account.

Annuities can be set up as manual securities and then tracked manually in an offline tax deferred investment account (if it is an IRA Annuity, set it up as an offline IRA account).

I have an IRA annuity that I track in Quicken and I set it up like this:

• Annuity Security Name: USAA Annuity (followed by the Annuity number)
    • Account Name: Fidelity_IRA_Annuity
    • Entered an account Opening Balance of: The total $ amount of the annuity purchase. (I transferred the cash in from a different IRA account but if you did not do a cash transfer you could enter the Category as a transfer to itself.)
    • Entered a Buy transaction for the USAA Annuity security: Share cost = $1. Number of shares = The total cost (with no dollar sign) of the annuity purchase.
    • I then periodically (1X every month or every other month) enter a ReinDiv transaction at $1/share to account for the value increase of the annuity.
    • I have only had 1 distribution from it so far but I entered a Sell transaction at $1/share with the cash from the sale being transferred to another account instead of being deposited to the Annuity account.

So far it is working well for me.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken does not have any online setup options or specific account types for Annuities. There is no way to setup a linked Annuity security nor a linked Annuity account. It would be nice if there were a way to do that but I believe it is not possible for 2 primary reasons: 1) Annuities are not publicly traded securities (like mutual funds and stocks are) and 2) they are, instead, a type of insurance policy, not a type of brokerage investment account.

Annuities can be set up as manual securities and then tracked manually in an offline tax deferred investment account (if it is an IRA Annuity, set it up as an offline IRA account).

I have an IRA annuity that I track in Quicken and I set it up like this:

• Annuity Security Name: USAA Annuity (followed by the Annuity number)
    • Account Name: Fidelity_IRA_Annuity
    • Entered an account Opening Balance of: The total $ amount of the annuity purchase. (I transferred the cash in from a different IRA account but if you did not do a cash transfer you could enter the Category as a transfer to itself.)
    • Entered a Buy transaction for the USAA Annuity security: Share cost = $1. Number of shares = The total cost (with no dollar sign) of the annuity purchase.
    • I then periodically (1X every month or every other month) enter a ReinDiv transaction at $1/share to account for the value increase of the annuity.
    • I have only had 1 distribution from it so far but I entered a Sell transaction at $1/share with the cash from the sale being transferred to another account instead of being deposited to the Annuity account.

So far it is working well for me.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.