R48.15 Automatic Install

Options
Janet46
Janet46 Member ✭✭
R48.15 Automatic Install and "back-up of data file" has wiped out everything - 15+ years of data and all accounts. How do I get it back?
Thanks,
Janet 46
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

When Quicken does a version update it will automatically back up the data file prior to the installation of the new version. Quicken will also insert the version that was updated from into the name of the backup file name as shown in the yellow shading of this example:

In this example in the picture above, the installed version that was updated from was R38.30 and the update was done on Mar 3, 2022.

Go to where your automatic backup files are saved and look for the backup file that was created at the beginning of the R48.15 version update process. You can find where your automatic backup files are saved by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup > Open (shaded in yellow). When you find it, double click on it and if prompted select Quicken to open it and restore it.

If that version update backup file also has no data: Do you have another recent backup file dated a little before the version update backup file? If so, try restoring that one to see if it resolved the issue.

BTW, I also suggest that you change your Windows UAC setting to "Always notify". By doing this, in the future Windows will no longer allow Quicken (or just about any other program) to update the software without first getting your approval.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

When Quicken does a version update it will automatically back up the data file prior to the installation of the new version. Quicken will also insert the version that was updated from into the name of the backup file name as shown in the yellow shading of this example:

In this example in the picture above, the installed version that was updated from was R38.30 and the update was done on Mar 3, 2022.

Go to where your automatic backup files are saved and look for the backup file that was created at the beginning of the R48.15 version update process. You can find where your automatic backup files are saved by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup > Open (shaded in yellow). When you find it, double click on it and if prompted select Quicken to open it and restore it.

If that version update backup file also has no data: Do you have another recent backup file dated a little before the version update backup file? If so, try restoring that one to see if it resolved the issue.

BTW, I also suggest that you change your Windows UAC setting to "Always notify". By doing this, in the future Windows will no longer allow Quicken (or just about any other program) to update the software without first getting your approval.

• Janet46
    Janet46 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Many thanks Boatmaniac. Will do this and also UAC setting.
    Janet46
  • Janet46
    Janet46 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Dear Boatnmaniac,
    The latest version with historical data and "all" accounts that I can find is QDATA-R-40.21 to August 2022. Better than nothing since I discovered most, if not all monthly downloads from financial institutions in general downloads. My question now is - 3 of the several accounts have pale pink circles with a line through it beside them. I stupidly ignored this since I had no issues with downloading them, but now suspect this is related to the disappearance of all counts when R48.15 was installed. At any rate, what should I do about the accounts with pale pink circles with a line through it before I start downloading from Aug 2022?
    Thank you in advance for your help and given your name you must have heard of Deltaville, VA?
    Janet46
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Janet46 - Hmmmm…..a backup file from Aug 2022. That is the most recent one you could find prior to updating to R48.15 that had all the missing accounts data present?

I'm asking because most financial institutions will download at most just the most recent 30-90 days of transactions, but some will download more than that. It is not something we can control. It is totally controlled by the financial institution. That means you will have a large gap in your transactions history that will need to be filled with either individual transactions or an account balancing transaction.

The easiest way to fill the that gap is to use the Web Connect (WC) process. With this process you manually download the date range of transactions you want in QFX (or "Quicken" or "Web Connect") format from your online account. Save the file to your hard drive and then double click the file to open it with Quicken making sure to select the current account in Quicken that you want it imported to.

One issue with WC is that the first time you download and import into an existing account it might change the dollar amount of the Opening Balance transaction. If you do decide to try this, make sure to manually enter the Opening Balance dollar amount into the memo field before doing and then back up your data file before proceeding.

Another issue with WC is that not all financial institutions support WC. If any of your financial institutions have transaction gaps to still be filled and they do not support WC you will have two options:

1. If those financial institutions allow for manual transactions downloads in CSV, Excel or OFX formats, you can try downloading in those formats. Then use a file conversion program like ImportQIF to convert the file into something that can then be imported into Quicken. ImportQIF is freeware that was developed by a long-time Quicken user and very active participant in this Community. You can read up on it and download it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ .
    2. Your final option to get missing transactions entered is to manually enter them.

Regarding the pale pink circles with lines through them: I see you are having a separate discussion on this in another thread so I'll not comment on that here.

And finally, I live in central TX on a large reservoir (65 miles long) so I'm a freshwater boater. My wife likes that…says that there's nothing dangerous that can come up from underneath! 😁 So, no, I'm not familiar with Deltaville. But you've peaked my interest so now I'll have to be sure to check it out the next time I get out that way.

• Janet46
    Janet46 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Many thanks for process for helpful hints on avoiding doing something else stupid. The D-ville T-shirt says "More people than boats." And it is very true.
This discussion has been closed.