Reconciling Shares of Securities

Options
cinkriz
cinkriz Member
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Greetings. One of my brokerage accounts has several securites whose balances are each off slightly from actual. There were place holdings in some but they go back years. Is there an easy way to edit the outstanding number of shares held in order to get an accurate total value. I'm not really concerned about the cost basis.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If it is a small adustment, you can click on the gear at the top right of the account and select Update share balance to set the balance to match the new brokerage. This will insert Added or Removed transactions to adjust the balance without affecting the cash in the account.

Or you can adjust the number of shares in a recent Reinvest transaction, letting Quicken recalculate the price per share, to make the share balances match.

For a small fraction of a share, neither of these will have a significant impact on any performance clculations.

QWin Premier subscription
  • cinkriz
    cinkriz Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

Awesome. Thank

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

also - in the same upper right corner of the Register - try the —> Reconcile Shares -
    it will compare what you have with what the brokerage thinks you have -
    Go thru each an every brokerage account to see if they are all ok -

Lastly - there is a setting in … Edit —> Preferences —> …. check the "Setttings" for which accounts to auto-reconcile -
    this will do the "reconcile/compare" each time you download from your brokerage

• cinkriz
    cinkriz Member
    Options

Perfect. I had to give my brain a break so I'll dig back in tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.