Balances don't match between holdings and report

Options
Esthera
Esthera Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I have an account that the balance on the screen and when I run the holdings report in quicken they match the bank exactly. However, when I run the account balances report it is off by a significant amount. When I run the account balances report in detail I can see which security is off on the report but I can't see why. On the holdings report it is showing the correct number of shares as well as the correct price per share. How or why would the account balances report from the reports menu differ from the actual balance? I have tried to do a validate and repair - hesitant to do a delete and rebuild but the number of shares and price per share is correct - why is the report off?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have done a good job of diagnosing the problem so far. Here are some things to check:

Make sure the ending date for the Account Balances report is today and matches the As of date in the Holdings view.

Are you running the stock Account Balances report from Reports > Net Worth & Balances or one you have customized and saved? Sometimes saved reports don't work correctly after a Quicken update.

If neither of those is the issue, change the As of date in the Holdings view and the ending date for the Account Balances report back in time to see when the discrepancy first occurs. You can go a year at a time at first, then narrow down the dates. Look for an unusual transaction when the problem first occurs and correct or delete and re-enter it. Be sure to back up your data file before changing historical transactions.

Please let us know what you find!

QWin Premier subscription
  • Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

OK so the first month that it does not match is 3/31/2022. 2/28 matches and 3/31 does not. I am running the stock report.

There is one transaction for shares sold during the month of March. If I delete or edit that transaction that will affect my balances.

My balances on the screen are correct (as of today) however not on the report - Reports > Net Worth & Balances - if I correct anything it it will affect my balance… not sure how the information on my screen and the report can be different but while I now can identify exactly where it starts being different I am unsure of how to fix…

thanks for your help!

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Also:

The problem is with the Account Balances report and not the Portfolio Value report, right? The Portfolio Value report is computed differently from other reports. Portfolio Value is cost basis + gain/loss and Net Worth is shares * share price. 

Also there have been reports that the Account Balances report sometimes gives different results if you change the Interval setting, even for the same end date. Please check and see if that is your situation.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

The portfolio value when I am in the account and click holdings - the value appearing there is correct. As is the overall balance for the account.

When I go to reports → networth and balances the balance in the account is different than the balance that is showing up in Quicken on the left under accounts. This starts as of 3/31/2022. They match as of 2/21/2022. Note that it is currently just this one account and this one security.

The balance in quicken is correct and matches what is showing up in my bank. The report is not. I have narrowed it down to this one security that shows a much lower balance than the one that shows when I click on the holdings for the account.

I am not sure how this is possible.. since the balance showing and the balance reporting should match.. and I have no idea how to fix it…

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you have a transaction (likely a buy or a sale) for that security in March, 2022? If so, can you track down that the reports agree before that date and diverge after that date? You might then try deleting and re-entering that one transaction.

Have you examined if you have a placeholder for that security. Make sure your Preferences are set to show hidden transactions for investments. If you find one, rectify it with an appropriate Buy, Sell, Add, or Remove.

Provided you have a good backup on hand, a Validate with the Repair Lots option selected should be a safe step that you can try.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

If I delete or edit that transaction that will affect my balances.

To be clear, I did not say to just delete the transaction, I said to delete and re-enter it. Occasionally a transaction will be recorded incorrectly and re-entering the same data fixes the rpoblem.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

Deleted and reentered the transaction. same issue. no change in the totals.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

also already ran a validate and repair - it did not change anything. running it again now.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

also validation hangs.. I am tempted to delete the account and just add it…

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

help anyone?

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

I deleted the account and reentered it (so I lost some historical data) and now it is off by .02 but honestly that does not concern me.

I have no idea how an accouting software can have a discrepancy like this but at this point - deleting the account in its entirety and resyncing it with the bank gave me the current balance correctly.

• Esthera
    Esthera Member ✭✭
    Options

sooo that was too easy an answer.. it caused all sorts of other issues so I restored my backup..

still looking for help on why my report and balances don't match and how I can fix it..

This discussion has been closed.