"Amount Invested" error on Portfolio Screen

Options
jimarcher6837
jimarcher6837 Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Running on W10 Home, Ver 48.15, Bld 27.1.48.15. The "Amount Invested" on the Portfolio screen differs significantly from the Value reported from the Security Detail View/ Security Report. Both should reflect the same net investment after fees and commissions.

Anyone see the same issue, or is it just my understanding of the reporting?

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

"Amount Invested" is different from the current value of a security or group of securities. It is a measure of the amount you paid for the security, but it does not decrease when you make a partial sale.

For me, it is useful mainly as the denominator in computing Return on Investment ROI

QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are correct there's a difference. Amount Invested in the Portfolio shows the total amount ever invested in the security, with no subtractions for shares sold. The Security Report should show this Amount Invested at the top when the initial shares were bought or added. Unlike the portfolio view, the report subtracts amounts when shares are sold, so the bottom line will be different.

Now if you haven't sold any shares and the Amounts Invested are different, you'll have to give more information about what you're seeing.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

"Amount Invested" is different from the current value of a security or group of securities. It is a measure of the amount you paid for the security, but it does not decrease when you make a partial sale.

For me, it is useful mainly as the denominator in computing Return on Investment ROI

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are correct there's a difference. Amount Invested in the Portfolio shows the total amount ever invested in the security, with no subtractions for shares sold. The Security Report should show this Amount Invested at the top when the initial shares were bought or added. Unlike the portfolio view, the report subtracts amounts when shares are sold, so the bottom line will be different.

Now if you haven't sold any shares and the Amounts Invested are different, you'll have to give more information about what you're seeing.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jimarcher6837
    jimarcher6837 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jim and RJS, thanks for the answer. It turns out the value I want is cost basis. I was not aware that Amount Invested did not subtract sales of a security.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

As you have probably seen, there is a column for cost basis. Also if you group the Portfolio view by Account, you can click on the plus sign next to the security name to see the individual tax lots.

• jimarcher6837
    jimarcher6837 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I know.
This discussion has been closed.