Problem with negative cash balance in investment account

Options
kwmoore76
kwmoore76 Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I set up a new investment account within QWIN for an IRA rollover. I'm able to download transactions from the investment firm. The initial contribution to the fund and a subsequent dividend reinvestment were put in a money market fund as a transfer from the old IRA. The cash balance at this point shows zero after the initial contribution (ContribX) and then the move of those funds into the MM account (Bought). Life is good up until this point.

The problem is this: I have now used all of the funds in this account in the Money Market Fund to "buy" an index fund, still within the same account. Basically, I just wanted the money to be in an index fund instead of a MM Fund. Since the transaction is treated by the download as a "buy", the cash balance on the account is now negative -- the negative value of the funds transferred from the MM to the index fund.

My question is what changes do I need to make so that the cash balance once again shows zero? I looked at some of the different Actions within the investment account register, but I'm a bit lost at this point.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

You need to sell shares of the MMF that you used to buy the index fund.

BUT to make your life easier in the future, I'd just delete the PURCHASE of the MMF and leave everything as cash … which is what I do.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• kwmoore76
    kwmoore76 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. If I'd only waited a day, the mutual fund company entered the SELL transaction, and I caught that in today's download.
This discussion has been closed.