Track spot price of gold & silver precious metals automatically

Options
QMac User
QMac User Member ✭✭✭
edited April 23 in Product Enhancements

Many people own precious metals and having an asset account type (because precious metals are physical assets) that automatically tracks the spot price of precious metals and reports an up to date overall value at all times would be very helpful.

19 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• MikeS 18
    MikeS 18 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes! I wish more people would speak up about this. Doesn't seem that it should be that hard - just a matter of priorities for Quicken development. All other proxies for spot price don't track accurately. Please upvote!
  • tderosa
    tderosa Member ✭✭
    Options

I find it puzzling that Quicken has not yet provided this feature. In Yahoo!, I can get spot prices by using symbols "GC=F" for Gold and "SI=F" for Silver. If Yahoo! can do this, I would think Quicken could do something similar.

• KLB85
    KLB85 Member
    Options

Yes, tracking precious metals spot prices should be added to Quicken. My question is for Quicken, is this being looked at or considered?

If yes when?

If no why not?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

@KLB85 If the status in the top post in this thread changes from "Active" to "Under Consideration" then you'll know they're thinking about it, and if it changes to "Planned" then you'll know they're going to do it at some point, but they won't say when. (And if it changes to "Not Planned" then they've decided to not do it.) That's the only answer you'll get to those questions.

A feature request that only has 6 votes is unlikely to get acted on in any way.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Larry51
    Larry51 Member
    Options

I'm on a Windows platform and would love to have this functionality also…

Seems like a few more queries when the stock prices are updated…

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And paying for that service. Quote services aren't free.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • waylord Hamrock
    waylord Hamrock Member ✭✭
    Options

after a recent update, Quicken now uses specific symbols to track the spot prices of gold and silver. The symbols are ^XAUUSD for Gold and ^XAGUSD for Silver1These symbols are used to automatically update the price of Gold and Silver as an investment in Quicken1. However, the exact source of these spot prices is not explicitly mentioned in the Quicken documentation. Lookin oon line at any given time, you can see several different bid and ask prices. Can anyone tell us exactly what is the source of the spot gold and silver prices that Quicken downloads to update those values, and how often they are updated?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

here - I think those symbols are only avail starting with Release - R54.9 -

in new release R54.9 - notice the "^" prefix -

What's New

• Enabled access to Gold and Silver price quotes,
      making it easier for customers to obtain this information using the symbols
      ^XAUUSD for Gold
      ^XAGUSD for Silver

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Gman34798
    Gman34798 Member ✭✭
    Options

Is this service enabled in Q Mac? I'm running Version 7.5.2 (Build 705.51955.100) on macOS 13.6.3. I can enter ^XAGUSD but nothing appears to update.

• bear85
    bear85 Member ✭✭
    Options

Folks- I still am having issues automatically updating the value of my gold coins. For each type of coin, i have set up as one does for securities and use ounces as the number of shares. I use ^XAUUSD as the symbol with no success in updating the current value. I manually entered a cost when I entered them, and no automatic updates are done with ^XAUUSD OR ^XAUTUSD. Any ideas on correcting this would be appreciated.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think there are still some lingering questions -
    Here is the old thread - that was closed - have asked to have it re-opened to discuss…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2
    Options

don't know where Quicken is getting their pricing -
    but the "XA" Security entries are not a stock, but rather a Forex - foreign exchange - you can see them all in the Add Security -
    the gold spot vs US Dollar - XAU-USD
    ie - https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/XAUUSD/

the silver spot vs US Dollar - XAG-USD
    https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/XAGUSD/

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• xlnja
    xlnja Member ✭✭
    Options

I added ^XAUUSD and ^XAGUSD on 1/19/2024. The initial price was downloaded, but the prices have not updated since. What is going on?

• schwane
    schwane Member ✭✭
    Options

Still need this enhancement to be added to the Mac version. Not added as of 4/21/2024.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you actuallly hold a position in those metals? Q doesn't download quotes unless a position is either Held or on the Watch List.

You also need to verify that in your Security List (CTRL-Y) the "Download Quotes" box is checked for each.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    Options

Tools —> Security List -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10