Quicken becoming unusable

Options
Eric_S
Eric_S Member ✭✭
I've used Quicken for years and it has been indispensable in managing my finances. But it has been degrading more & more. I have Quicken Mac with latest updates installed for both MacOS and Quicken.
Quicken: Version 6.12.5 (Build 612.47953.100)
macOS: 13.2.1

First, it was unable to download my ETrade accounts. This problem has existed for a long time now- at least a year, maybe longer. I've spent hours working with support on this, finally I just didn't have any more time to create new data files and run other experiments. I hate not having that info in Quicken but I can live without it.

Then my CapitalOne accounts stopped connecting. When I try to reconnect the error message says "CP_SCRIPT_ERROR Script not written yet. New scripts needs to be supported for this FI". But I don't use these cards often, so I didn't bother with this one.

But now I'm having a problem with my Chase accounts. I run virtually all my expenses through one Chase Visa card, which stopped connecting. When I try to reconnect, the auth flow with Chase works perfectly. I log in, and it lists the 7 accounts that it is going to share with Quicken- all appear correctly. Then the Quicken connect screen comes back, and only 6 of those authorized accounts are listed. The one account that I run all my expenses through is not on the list to update. I've tried this a dozen times by now, including removing the connection and re-adding it.

Quicken is also reporting random "Quicken cloud is temporarily unavailable." messages when I try to reconnect or relogin to accounts. As far as I can tell this is an erroneous or incorrect error message, as it seems to occur even when the update is successful. But I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the other issues. This has been going on for a week or so.

This is on top of many annoying issues that I've also just lived with. Balances on investment accounts are always out of whack in one view or another. Reconciling them just makes it worse. Again, I just live with this and ignore the investment totals and net worth because they're always wrong.

But I do rely on Quicken for cashflow management and virtually every other area of my personal finances. But if my Chase accounts don't work, I'm going to have to find another solution.

Hello Quicken? What's up here?
Tagged:

Comments

• Eric_S
    Eric_S Member ✭✭
    Options
    Update: I went to my Chase account and disabled Quicken access. They I went back into Quicken and re-authorized just the missing account. Still no luck- Quicken said there were no accounts to authorize, even tough Chase clearly showed it. After failing here, I went back and re-added the other 6 accounts. This time, the missing account showed up in the list and seems to be connected. However, there's still a problem-- the last transactions loaded into Quicken were April 3. Even though I've re-connected it hasn't loaded any of the transactions from the last week (which there are a couple dozen that are already cleared). Hopefully tomorrow these will sync up but I'm getting frustrated.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Eric_S I'm sorry to read all your different connectivity problems with Quicken Mac! I can't provide much help here, but when I saw you address your post to Quicken at the end, I wanted to make sure you're aware this site is not Quicken Support. It's mainly fellow Quicken users trying to help each other, with a handful of Quicken moderators who can answer some questions and provide limited help with some issues. Generally for ongoing connectivity problems, we recommend using Quicken Support, because they can screen share with you to see exactly what you're seeing and can document and escalate problems they cannot resolve. But it sounds like you've already had many interaction with Quicken Support, without satisfactory resolutions.

Connectivity issues are certainly Quicken's achilles heel. Some users go years without any issues, while others are beset by one issue after another. Those problems are often caused by financial institutions blocking Quicken wholly or in part, or making changhes without giving Quicken (Intuit) adequate advance notice. But to Quicken users, who's to blame isn't as important as that they just can't get the system to work the way it should.

(I'm not recommending this approach, but I'll just share that I avoid all those problems by entering my transactions manually. I did a test years ago to see how long it took me to download transactions, check them, edit Payees, enter splits, enter memos, etc., and I found it took only marginally longer to enter them manually. And since I don't deal with connectivity problems, I probably come out ahead on time in the long run! 😉 Now, this only works because my volume of accounts and monthly transactions makes it practical; I don't do a lot of trading in my investment accounts, and entering my credit card, checking and cash transactions isn't too much — an average of about 125-150 total transactions per month — to be impractical.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.