How to create a report that shows account balances on specified dates? (Q Mac)

Options
truckload-of-art
truckload-of-art Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Reports (Mac)

Hello all, I'm a long-time Quicken/Windows user who recently migrated to Mac.

I've been trying to figure out how to create a report that simply shows account balances for specified accounts for specified dates (with future automatic transactions accounted for). That's it — literally copying the balances on specified dates from the account registers into a report.

I was able to do this (albeit clunkily) in the Windows version, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this in the Mac version. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The report you want is Net Worth.

Go to Reports > Net Worth and select the one called simply "Net Worth". Click Edit, and for the date range, all you need to enter is the ending date, for the date you want the report as of. Click OK and you'll have your account balances for every account as of that date.

If you have older cloased accounts, you may want to go back to Edit, click Selected accounts, and de-select the ones you want to omit because you know they're old, closed and zero. That will give you a cleaner report. You can save this as a custom report, so you don't need to edit the accounts each time you run it.

Whoops, I just re-read your post and saw "with future automatic transactions accounted for". I'm not sure what you mean there. If you run the Net Worth report as of March 31, is will show the account balances as of March 31, period. Future transactions, whether downloaded, entered manaully or scheduled, will not be included in the account totals on that date.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The net worth report does take into account future dated transactions if two conditions are met:

1. The end date of the time period selected for the report is in the future. For example, if you select "this year", the end date is 12/31/2023 and the report will include future dated transations through that date. However, if you select "year to date", the end date of that period is today, and no future transactions will be included. Note that the end date of the time period chosen for the report is the only date that matters. The start date of the time period has no effect.
    2. The future dated transactions must be actually entered into the register. A manually entered future dated transaction will be included as will a downloaded transaction with a future date. However, a scheduled transaction (clock icon in the Status column and gray text) will not be included. In other words, future transactions shown in dark text are included; future transactions in gray text are not.

I don't know of any way to generate an account balance report that includes future scheduled transactions. Also note that scheduled transactions that are overdue (red clock icon in the Status column and gray text) are also excluded, even if the time period for the report ends on the current date.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

The report you want is Net Worth.

Go to Reports > Net Worth and select the one called simply "Net Worth". Click Edit, and for the date range, all you need to enter is the ending date, for the date you want the report as of. Click OK and you'll have your account balances for every account as of that date.

If you have older cloased accounts, you may want to go back to Edit, click Selected accounts, and de-select the ones you want to omit because you know they're old, closed and zero. That will give you a cleaner report. You can save this as a custom report, so you don't need to edit the accounts each time you run it.

Whoops, I just re-read your post and saw "with future automatic transactions accounted for". I'm not sure what you mean there. If you run the Net Worth report as of March 31, is will show the account balances as of March 31, period. Future transactions, whether downloaded, entered manaully or scheduled, will not be included in the account totals on that date.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

The net worth report does take into account future dated transactions if two conditions are met:

1. The end date of the time period selected for the report is in the future. For example, if you select "this year", the end date is 12/31/2023 and the report will include future dated transations through that date. However, if you select "year to date", the end date of that period is today, and no future transactions will be included. Note that the end date of the time period chosen for the report is the only date that matters. The start date of the time period has no effect.
    2. The future dated transactions must be actually entered into the register. A manually entered future dated transaction will be included as will a downloaded transaction with a future date. However, a scheduled transaction (clock icon in the Status column and gray text) will not be included. In other words, future transactions shown in dark text are included; future transactions in gray text are not.

I don't know of any way to generate an account balance report that includes future scheduled transactions. Also note that scheduled transactions that are overdue (red clock icon in the Status column and gray text) are also excluded, even if the time period for the report ends on the current date.

• truckload-of-art
    truckload-of-art Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options
    > future transactions shown in dark text are included; future transactions in gray text are not.

This is what was tripping me up. I didn't realize that there was a distinction between the two. There is no such distinction in the Windows version. It seems rather unnecessary to have to review future transactions that I've already purposely scheduled.
  • RickO
    Options

I found an Idea thread about this:

Doesn't look like it's gotten a lot of traction, but you should hop over there and vote for and comment on it.

This discussion has been closed.