Need advice. Will it work for me and which version is best for me

Options
HHBlack
HHBlack Member
edited May 2023 in Before you Buy

Have several checking accounts in my bank (Chase). (Home, mymoneypot, wife's moneypot, oursavings, etc).

All I really want to do is to keep track of checks/actions (like transfers between accounts), and reconcile the accounts against the bank statements using QIF downloads that automatically match checks against download data and set cleared status. - At work I use QBooks and like the way it does this with the 'match' button. Does it do the same in Quicken or is the reconcile process completely manual?

Do NOT want / not ready for an on-line version. Much prefer the old-fashioned desktop experience.

Willing to pay more for premium support.

Don't need all the fancy features likebudgeting, tracking, reporting, Tax planning, etc. JUST AN EASY WAY TO BALANCE/RECONCILE CHECKBOOKS OF MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS, AND TRANSACTIONS BETWEEN THEM. Like the reconcile process to work like QBooks 'match'

Deluxe? Premier? Home and Business? None of them?

Thanxalot.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note this information I’m providing is for Quicken Windows. If you are talking about Quicken Mac that is a completely different subject (For Quicken Mac there isn’t any QIF importing, only QFX, and I would recommend the lowest “edition” because the higher editions don’t have much value, especially if you don’t want online features).

One must understand that you are paying for Quicken by Subscription (yearly), but that doesn't dictate how you use Quicken. It is possible to use it entirely local, except for the Quicken Id that is used for installing/licensing/and online features. Any "edition" Starter, Deluxe, … would meet your needs, but I would suggest at least Deluxe since the Starter edition has a lot of limitations in it that aren't immediately apparent.

But note that you will be using QFX not QIF. With Quicken Subscription QIF imports go directly into the register without any processing like matching of pre-entered transactions.

Note that in older versions of Quicken the QIF import could be matched to existing transactions, and other than not processing the renaming rules like would happen for a QFX import (to normalized payee names from something like “Safeway store##” to “Safeway”), which is needed to match to memorized payees that then fill in the category, the old QIF imports did do all the processing. See information on this here: How Quicken Processes Imported Transactions - QuicknPerlWiz

And you might consider using Quicken 2013 Deluxe which is the last version of Quicken that is totally offline (doesn’t use the Quicken Id) which can be downloaded from here for free:

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

But note that if you want automatic downloading of transactions or to use QFX files instead of QIF you must use Quicken Subscription with an active subscription. In expired subscription, or in older versions of Quicken Windows,

Also for there are two modes in Quicken Subscription as far as the processing of downloaded transactions are concerned, automatic transaction entry mode, where the transactions go directly into the register and you use a “review process” for the “New” and “New Match” downloaded transactions. And the second mode (which is always used in QIF imports in the older versions of Quicken) is to go through a Downloaded Transaction tab that is at the bottom of the register. Where you click on one transaction and it shows you it in the register and then you make any changes needed or not, and then accept that transaction into the register. These settings are under Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • HHBlack
    HHBlack Member
    Options

Chris,

Thank you for your AWESOME response.

Detailed and caring.

If they let me put in more stars, I'd fill up the box with them.

Checking our your website.

This discussion has been closed.