Merge Transaction

Options
Aweiss
Aweiss Member ✭✭

I would like to merge 2 transactions how do I do that

I can't just delete 1 because they are categorized as a transfer and when I delete 1 it gets deleted from the transferred account

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

There only way I know of to merge (match) two transactions is during the review and approve process after transactions download. Once the transactions have been accepted and entered into the register they can no longer be merged (matched).

Assuming the transfer category is correct (in both accounts), I would keep that transfer transaction in both accounts and delete the other non-transfer transaction(s).

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Aweiss
    Aweiss Member ✭✭
    Options

the problem is that in one account i have the transfer as 2 transactions and in the other account it is 1 transaction and when I delete the duplicate transactions i don't see it anymore in the transferred account

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So as I understand it:

In account #1 you have 1 transaction and it shows the category is a transfer to account #2, right? Leave this transaction alone.

In account #2 there are 2 transactions:

• 1 transaction shows the category is a transfer from account #1. Leave this transaction alone.
    • Another duplicate transaction has some other category (not a transfer). This transaction is the one that should be deleted.

Did I get this right? If so, delete the single transaction with the non-transfer category.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is one transaction manually entered and the other transaction downloaded? If so, click on the pencil icon in the status column of the manual transaction. That will present an option to match with a downloaded transaction.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Aweiss
    Aweiss Member ✭✭
    Options

"one transaction manually entered and the other transaction downloaded? If so, click on the pencil icon in the status column of the manual transaction. That will present an option to match with a downloaded transaction."

yes, this is the issue that when I click the pencil icon it doesn't present the downloaded transaction

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This sounds like the issue discussed here:

That user said it was a long-standing issue, but I had not heard of it before.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For best results I recommend you manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.

Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in both of your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

This discussion has been closed.