split payment for single receipt

Options
FayeJax
FayeJax Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I there a way to make one entry for an expense that is associated with two or more payment types?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Or, if you want to have an expense paid out of two separate Accounts - like some from your Checking 1 account and the balance paid out of your Checking 2 account, then using a $30 expense to be split evenly between the two accounts, in Checking 1 you'd enter the amount to be paid out of that account ($15), create a split, use whatever expense Category you want to use for the FULL expense entered as a positive number, then on the second line out of of the split show a transfer from Checking 2 for the balance as a negatove red number:

EDITED for reversing colors and signs in original post.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you mean like creating a Split transaction for a credit card charge where you purchased clothing and also want/need to track State Sales Tax separately?

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, if I understand the question. Do you mean something like where you pay for an expense partially with a credit card for example and partially with cash? If so what I would do is enter it in the credit card account with the amount being what was charged to the credit card. Then the category would be split to whatever expense you wish and cash.

As an example, say you go to a restaurant and pay $50 with a credit card and leave a $10 tip. The entry would be a $50 charge on the credit card split as Dining $60 and [Cash] $10 credit.

You can do the same with other payment types as well.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Or, if you want to have an expense paid out of two separate Accounts - like some from your Checking 1 account and the balance paid out of your Checking 2 account, then using a $30 expense to be split evenly between the two accounts, in Checking 1 you'd enter the amount to be paid out of that account ($15), create a split, use whatever expense Category you want to use for the FULL expense entered as a positive number, then on the second line out of of the split show a transfer from Checking 2 for the balance as a negatove red number:

EDITED for reversing colors and signs in original post.

• FayeJax
    FayeJax Member ✭✭
    Options
    thanks all!

@bmciance my concern with this approach is that I would like to be able to find the transaction by searching for the total spent, and then see what forms of payment were used. In other words, using your example, I want to search for $60, and see that $50 went on charge and $10 on cash.
  • FayeJax
    FayeJax Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Tom Young perfect, thanks. IDK why I didn't see that I could search for a transfer option in a split. (It defaults to expenses.) Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.