Using Quicken with Truist Bank

Options

I have set up Quicken with my bank using Web Express Connect. But now I would like to write checks and pay bills with Quicken through Truist Bank

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

To be able to use the Bank Bill Pay feature, your Truist account(s) must be set up with the Direct Connect (DC) method. Quicken never charges anything for DC nor for Bank Bill Pay but some banks do charge a monthy fee for that. Truist is one of the banks that does charge a monthly fee: $7.95/month.

Before you will be able to set up Truist with DC you will need to sign up for that service with Truist.

When you sign up for that service you can ask them if they have any special login requirements (such as unique UserID and PW) for use with DC. Usually banks that charge a monthly fee (and some that do not charge a monthly fee) also have special login requirements and/or process for DC. If they do not, then use your normal Truist online account login for your DC set up.

Then you can go to Account List and in the line for your checking account you should see a link to upgrade your account from EWC to DC. Click on that link and follow the login guidance provided by Truist to get set up with DC.

Once DC is set up, then you can go to Tools > Online Payee List. Select your Truist account and click on New to add a Payee for Bill Pay to the List. The Payees you add to this list will get uploaded to Truist when you do One Step Update (OSU) or Update Now.

When you want to make a payment, there are several different ways to get it set up:

1. In the checking account register: Enter a manual transaction, selecting the Online Payee you want to use and enter the payment amount, category and the due date. In the Check # column enter Send and then save the transaction. The next time you run OSU or Update Now Quicken will send the payment command to Truist.
    2. In the Tools > Online Payee List: Click on the Pay buttom. Fill out the fields and then click on Send Now or Send Later. Send Now will initiate Update Now and the payment command will be sent immediately. Send Later will enter the transaction into your checking account and it will be sent the next time you run OSU.
    3. In the Tools > Online Center: Click on the Payment tab and fill in the payment fields. Click on Enter to save the transaction to your checking account register to be sent the next time you run OSU. Or click on the Update/Send button to send the command immediately.

When Truist gets the bill payment command, Truist will confirm to the checking account register that the bill payment command has been received and scheduled. Click on the Lightning Bolt in the Check # field to see the payment status. Some banks will download the check number into the check number field when the bill payment schedule is confirmed back to Quicken but other banks won't download the check number until when the payment has posted.

One other thing: DC Bank Bill Pay can also be used to transfer funds between accounts at that bank, like between checking and savings.

Does this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

To be able to use the Bank Bill Pay feature, your Truist account(s) must be set up with the Direct Connect (DC) method. Quicken never charges anything for DC nor for Bank Bill Pay but some banks do charge a monthy fee for that. Truist is one of the banks that does charge a monthly fee: $7.95/month.

Before you will be able to set up Truist with DC you will need to sign up for that service with Truist.

When you sign up for that service you can ask them if they have any special login requirements (such as unique UserID and PW) for use with DC. Usually banks that charge a monthly fee (and some that do not charge a monthly fee) also have special login requirements and/or process for DC. If they do not, then use your normal Truist online account login for your DC set up.

Then you can go to Account List and in the line for your checking account you should see a link to upgrade your account from EWC to DC. Click on that link and follow the login guidance provided by Truist to get set up with DC.

Once DC is set up, then you can go to Tools > Online Payee List. Select your Truist account and click on New to add a Payee for Bill Pay to the List. The Payees you add to this list will get uploaded to Truist when you do One Step Update (OSU) or Update Now.

When you want to make a payment, there are several different ways to get it set up:

1. In the checking account register: Enter a manual transaction, selecting the Online Payee you want to use and enter the payment amount, category and the due date. In the Check # column enter Send and then save the transaction. The next time you run OSU or Update Now Quicken will send the payment command to Truist.
    2. In the Tools > Online Payee List: Click on the Pay buttom. Fill out the fields and then click on Send Now or Send Later. Send Now will initiate Update Now and the payment command will be sent immediately. Send Later will enter the transaction into your checking account and it will be sent the next time you run OSU.
    3. In the Tools > Online Center: Click on the Payment tab and fill in the payment fields. Click on Enter to save the transaction to your checking account register to be sent the next time you run OSU. Or click on the Update/Send button to send the command immediately.

When Truist gets the bill payment command, Truist will confirm to the checking account register that the bill payment command has been received and scheduled. Click on the Lightning Bolt in the Check # field to see the payment status. Some banks will download the check number into the check number field when the bill payment schedule is confirmed back to Quicken but other banks won't download the check number until when the payment has posted.

One other thing: DC Bank Bill Pay can also be used to transfer funds between accounts at that bank, like between checking and savings.

Does this answer your question?

• 205Riversidedr!
    205Riversidedr! Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, that helps alot. If I already have payees in the Truist account, can those be brought over to Quicken, or do I have to add payees individually in Quicken?

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I have worked with 6 different banks over the years that I had bill pay set up with in my online accounts before setting up DC Bank Bill Pay in Quicken for them. In all of them, the online account payees that I'd set up did not transfer into Quicken and I needed to manually set up each Online Payee in Quicken.

I also do not recall seeing anyone post that they were able to download the online account payees into Quicken.

I can not say what Truist will do once DC is set up with them. But if I had to guess it would be that you will need to manually add all your payees to the Online Payee List in Quicken. Once you get DC with Truist set up you can confirm this assumption. If there are no payees shown in the Online Payee list, I think it confirms that you will need to manually set them up in Quicken.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2023
    Options

I just noticed that an Alert has been posted for Truist with Direct Connect. You might want to read it and bookmark it (so you are notified of posted updates to it) in case you run into difficulty getting Truist set up with Direct Connect.:

This discussion has been closed.