Portfolio X-Ray vs. Allocations - percentages do not match

Options
islandhop
islandhop Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)
In the Investing menu, when I view "Portfolio X-Ray" for all accounts/all securities, the percentages are significantly different than those under "Allocations" for all accounts/all securities. Based on the drill down by category, the "Allocations" view seems correct. I don't appear to be able to drill down on the Portfolio X-Ray numbers. Does anyone know why the X-Ray numbers might appear so different from those in the allocations report?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Portfolio X-Ray numbers use Morningstar's asset class definitions. These are different from the asset allocation data that Quicken's quote provider uses.

Also Morningstar only analyzes publicly traded securities. So if you have a 401(k) that holds specially defined funds, Morningstar ignores those in its analysis

QWin Premier subscription
  • islandhop
    islandhop Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jim, Thanks for your response. I have a test portfolio set up with only publicly traded securities. I understand that asset class definitions may vary, but the percentages differ significantly for every category, including cash. I assume that the Allocations view uses the asset class information as shown in the security details for each holding, but do you know where I can either drill down on X-Ray or see what definitions Morningstar is using for X-Ray?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can see Morningstar's allocations for a security by selecting just that security for , or you can view it on Morningstar's website.

QWin Premier subscription
  • islandhop
    islandhop Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jim - Do you know why the cash amounts for all accounts/all securities would differ between the X-Ray and Allocation views?
This discussion has been closed.