I have some questions - reinstalling Q2012

Options
BlueSkyDay
BlueSkyDay Unconfirmed, Member
edited May 2023 in Before you Buy

A few years ago, I had to get a new hard drive, so I reloaded a bunch of programs. Today, however, I just tried to reload my old Quicken because I wanted to use it again (Quicken 2012 Home and Business). I received the following message:

————————————————————-

Windows Features

An app on your PC needs the following Windows feature:

.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)

Download and install this feature
(Windows will get the files that it needs from Windows Update and complete the installation.

OR

Skip this installation

(Your apps might not work correctly without this feature)

————————————————————-

I have Windows 10 and I'm from Canada and I wasn't planning on using the online subscription version. I am planning on getting a new computer with Windows 11 in the next few years (if that makes any difference).

(1) Is the "fix" just as easy as clicking on "Download and install this feature"? I guess my computer must have a higher version of the .NET files. Has anyone clicked on that and does it just make the older version of Quicken work again?

(2) If I decide to start using the online subscription version, will it be able to read my Quicken data file from the 2012 version? It's QDATA.QDF. If so, read next question.

(3) If I use the free trial subscription (which lasts about a month) and then I decide that I don't want to continue with the subscription version, (a) Does my QDATA file go back to the original version (before the free trial) or does it remain with all of the changes that were made during the free trial? (b) If the QDATA file contains all of the changes, can I just continue to use that new "changed" file with Quicken 2012 Home and Business, if I just wanted to use my old program? I wasn't sure if I could go back to an old program after using the new one.

(4) Can I start using the subscription service but don't do automatic downloading from my bank? That way, I'll continue to have the latest version of the program but still manually load my own data.

(5) I currently have 2012 Home and Business. If I start the subscription version, can I downgrade to Deluxe? Would my QDATA file still be fine? I can't imagine paying $9 a month for that bigger version since I wasn't really doing Business stuff before.

(6) Thanks to everyone who reads and responds to this. I've spent several hours researching this problem and reading your website and it was time to "ask the experts". I wanted to get your answers and opinions because in Canada, it's $6 a month for subscription and I don't know if I want it or need it or even like the new version. I've used Quicken since at least as far back as 1999 but not extensively all of the time.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

(EDITED: Made some corrections/comments below in italics.)

(1) Is the "fix" just as easy as clicking on "Download and install this feature"? I guess my computer must have a higher version of the .NET files. Has anyone clicked on that and does it just make the older version of Quicken work again?

It should be. I've had to install older versions of .NET before and gotten a similar popup message and I just let MS install it for me. It seemed to work just fine. However, you can also read up on it and manually complete the installation from this MS website: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows .

(2) If I decide to start using the online subscription version, will it be able to read my Quicken data file from the 2012 version? It's QDATA.QDF. If so, read next question.

Is your version of Quicken 2012 a USA or Canada software? If it is USA, then…Yes, it will. You can read more about the upgrade process from this Quicken Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken .

If your Quicken 2012 is Quicken Canada: I do not know but I think it might. But you could subscribe and try it out to see if it works. Just remember to back up your data file first.

(3) If I use the free trial subscription (which lasts about a month) and then I decide that I don't want to continue with the subscription version, (a) Does my QDATA file go back to the original version (before the free trial) or does it remain with all of the changes that were made during the free trial? (b) If the QDATA file contains all of the changes, can I just continue to use that new "changed" file with Quicken 2012 Home and Business, if I just wanted to use my old program? I wasn't sure if I could go back to an old program after using the new one.

Once you convert your Quicken 2012 data file to Quicken Subscription you will not be able to use that converted data file with Quicken 2012, again. If you think you might want to go back to Quicken 2012 you should make sure to save a copy of your data file before it is converted.

(4) Can I start using the subscription service but don't do automatic downloading from my bank? That way, I'll continue to have the latest version of the program but still manually load my own data.

You can use Quicken Subscripton manually (no transaction downloads from financial institutions) just like you do now with Quicken 2012. Nothing in Subscription requires you to use any of Quicken's online services if you do not want to.

BTW, if your Quicken 2012 is Quicken USA you should note that the Subscription online services will not work with Canadian financial institutions. So, that might be another reason not to upgrade to Subscription.

(5) I currently have 2012 Home and Business. If I start the subscription version, can I downgrade to Deluxe? Would my QDATA file still be fine? I can't imagine paying $9 a month for that bigger version since I wasn't really doing Business stuff before.

Yes, you can downgrade. There is only one Quicken Subscription software for USA and one for Canada . The various editions (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) are simply the same software with different features turned on or off. The edition you subscribe to tells your installation which features are turned on or off.

And if you subscribe to Deluxe, all of your Quicken 2012 Home & Business data will still intact.

SUGGESTION: Since it sounds like you don't want to use Quicken Subscription's online services, I suggest you do not upgrade to Subscription. The main improvements that Subscription offers over Quicken 2012 are with online services which you don't plan to use so why incur the subscription cost?

Instead, if you have Quicken 2012 USA you might want to download and install Quicken 2013 Deluxe for free from the Quicken Support Article I'd posted above under #2. Then if Windows tells you it needs to install that .NET Framework software, let it do it at that time. (Just be sure to save a copy of your data file before you upgrade to Quicken 2013…just in case you decide later you would rather stay with Quicken 2012.)

Otherwise, just download and install that .NET Framework software and continue using your Quicken 2012.

Did this answer your questions?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

(EDITED: Made some corrections/comments below in italics.)

It should be. I've had to install older versions of .NET before and gotten a similar popup message and I just let MS install it for me. It seemed to work just fine. However, you can also read up on it and manually complete the installation from this MS website: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows .

Is your version of Quicken 2012 a USA or Canada software? If it is USA, then…Yes, it will. You can read more about the upgrade process from this Quicken Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken .

If your Quicken 2012 is Quicken Canada: I do not know but I think it might. But you could subscribe and try it out to see if it works. Just remember to back up your data file first.

Once you convert your Quicken 2012 data file to Quicken Subscription you will not be able to use that converted data file with Quicken 2012, again. If you think you might want to go back to Quicken 2012 you should make sure to save a copy of your data file before it is converted.

You can use Quicken Subscripton manually (no transaction downloads from financial institutions) just like you do now with Quicken 2012. Nothing in Subscription requires you to use any of Quicken's online services if you do not want to.

BTW, if your Quicken 2012 is Quicken USA you should note that the Subscription online services will not work with Canadian financial institutions. So, that might be another reason not to upgrade to Subscription.

Yes, you can downgrade. There is only one Quicken Subscription software for USA and one for Canada . The various editions (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) are simply the same software with different features turned on or off. The edition you subscribe to tells your installation which features are turned on or off.

And if you subscribe to Deluxe, all of your Quicken 2012 Home & Business data will still intact.

SUGGESTION: Since it sounds like you don't want to use Quicken Subscription's online services, I suggest you do not upgrade to Subscription. The main improvements that Subscription offers over Quicken 2012 are with online services which you don't plan to use so why incur the subscription cost?

Instead, if you have Quicken 2012 USA you might want to download and install Quicken 2013 Deluxe for free from the Quicken Support Article I'd posted above under #2. Then if Windows tells you it needs to install that .NET Framework software, let it do it at that time. (Just be sure to save a copy of your data file before you upgrade to Quicken 2013…just in case you decide later you would rather stay with Quicken 2012.)

Otherwise, just download and install that .NET Framework software and continue using your Quicken 2012.

Did this answer your questions?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW, please make sure that, for your 2012 Canadian version, you have the bug fixes installed: Release 2 Mondo Patch, available from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-canadian.html

• BlueSkyDay
    BlueSkyDay Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Thank you Boatnmaniac and UKR. Yes, this answered my questions. Nice and thorough.

This discussion has been closed.