Is my data loss irretrievable after Q Mac v7.0.1 update? Is it stored somewhere hidden?

Options
bsjohnson46
bsjohnson46 Member

QuickV7.0.1 (after updating) seemed to wipeout my data fromFeb 27 to mid-April. It seems that a manual restore is my only choice. This file represents data, believe it or not, back to 1996! The problem is I've lost current data though.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'm not aware of any reported instances where an update has wiped out data. It's possible that upon re-launch after updating, Quicen opened an older version of your data file. A restore should not be a problem, though; Quicken creates a backup just before installing every update, so if you look in your Quicken backups folder, you should be able to locate a file named "BACKUP (Pre-Update) - [your file name] [date of update]".

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

In case you don't know where to find your backups, click menu File > Show Backups in Finder

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • willojay
    willojay Member
    Options

Installing update 7.01, it does not allow access to any backups. unable to open any Quicken file. Message is that the file doesn't exist. Very odd since previous updates have been painless. I cannot loose all the data stored in backups.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@willojay What happens if you locate a backup file in the Finder and double click it?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    Options

What version of macOS are you running?

Also, have you tried restarting your Mac?

• willojay
    willojay Member
    Options

Thanks all. I restarted and had the same error message. Finally located the previous backup which was not locateable in the finder but in a search of the mac hard drive. It opened with my data. Mac version 12.6.5. Quicken mac subscription version 6.12.5 Long time Quicken user. I will wait to upgrade Quicken until I am sure of being able to transition my data. Not sure what went wrong here so not sure what will make me want to upgrade.

• jacobs
    Options

The update from version 6.12.5 to 7.0.1 is a minor one, and shouldn't result in any data problems. Since you can revert back to the older program and data file if something goes wrong, my suggestion is to let it install the update again.

Before you install the update… Do you use the mobile app or web interface? If not, is your Sync setting in Settings > Mobile, Web & Alerts set to Off? If not, I'd turn it off, and then go to Settings > Connected Services and click Reset. This should insure that nothing is stored in Quicken Cloud which could overwrite your local data.

This discussion has been closed.