Portfolio view is showing incorrect returns

Rick  B
Rick B Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)

In Portfolio view stocks are showing incorrect returns for YTD, 1yr 3 yr … returns.

This is in comparison to the investment performance report. That report is correct .

It was never 100 % accurate at the total level . but now I am seeing incorect retruns for stocks that all the data is clean . No purchases or sales in the last year , no account changes . All are now incorrect . Most fairly close but some off as much as double 3% vs 6% . Most but not all are showing poorer performancre in portfolio view .

Product is Quicken Deluxe Canadian version

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Average Annual Return values in a Portfolio view should be the same as presented in an Investment Performance Report (IPR) — IF all the paramters match up. Dates are a possible culprit. For the IPR the dates should be clear. For the portfolio views. the timings would be 1, 3, or 5 years before the As of date applicable for the view.

If you can provide or show more specifics, we might be able to diagnose more specifically.

• Rick  B
    Answer ✓

Dates should be OK. I am looking at YTD in both . and 1yr portfolio compared to last 12 months in performance reports.

I am pretty sure all the paramaters match up .

Anything else I can provide I would be happy to ..

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these the Return (%) XXX columns? That data is downloaded from Quicken's quote provider, not calculated based on your data. Sometimes that data is missing or out of date.

For calculated data based on your holdings, see the Investment Performance Report or the Avg Annual Return (%) columns.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Rick  B

These are the average annual return columns . They used to be mostly correct .

• q_lurker
    Answer ✓

Average Annual Return values in a Portfolio view should be the same as presented in an Investment Performance Report (IPR) — IF all the paramters match up. Dates are a possible culprit. For the IPR the dates should be clear. For the portfolio views. the timings would be 1, 3, or 5 years before the As of date applicable for the view.

If you can provide or show more specifics, we might be able to diagnose more specifically.

• Rick  B
    Answer ✓

Dates should be OK. I am looking at YTD in both . and 1yr portfolio compared to last 12 months in performance reports.

I am pretty sure all the paramaters match up .

• q_lurker

How about deatail on the 3% vs 6% security? Pick any one security that might not be too personally revealing. Limit to one smaller account if that might be applicable. IPR snapshot for that security with Cash Flow details. Does the Beg Mkt Value for the IPR agree with a portfolio view value for that As of Date? Likewise, does the EndMkt Value agree? Anything 'odd' in the intervening period - spinoffs, splits, shares removed or added? (Shares bought or sold would not be 'odd'.) Pick any one security that might not be too personally revealing.

• Rick  B

Sorry this was my error. I was looking at ytd in portfolio view on a Saturday without update. I was working with Friday data.

• q_lurker

Glad you got things squared away.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Also please note that the average annual return YTD may give unexpected results. Because the IRR calculation is annualized, it assumes the YTD returns will continue for the full year. This is OK for bank accounts or money market funds, but generally not so good for other securities. If a security is down 5% at the end of Q1, the YTD calculation will be about -20%, which may not be realistic.

To make the YTD numbers in Quicken match published YTD returns for these securities, you can set the As of date in the Portfolio views or the end date for the Investing Performance Report to 12/31, which assumes that the performance will be flat for the rest of the yar.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.