Does not remember last file location/Mac

Options
pwalsh2
pwalsh2 Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭

Launching data file opens Quicken, no issue. Quit Quicken, then start Quicken App but it stalls, (spinning beachball). Quicken does not remember location of file.

Can launch quicken only by double click on data file.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Try this: Open the file by double clicking. Then menu File > Open Recent > Clear Menu

Then quit and relaunch Quicken and see if it's better.

If that doesn't work, then… where is the file stored?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pwalsh2
    Options

Oh, thanks for the clear menu I'm cleared and only remaining is the last file I opened.

Quicken in the Dock - if selected Quicken becomes unresponsive. Need to right click and select a recent file for it to open properly.

• pwalsh2
    Options
    [{"type":"p","children":[{"text":"Document folder is location of data file"}]},{"type":"p","children":[{"text":""}]}]
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Your last post was not readable.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Where is that Document folder which contains your Quicken data file?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • pwalsh2
    Options
    Use/document/Quicken Data
    Folder
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023
    Options

If your Documents folder is sync on iCloud, this can be the problem

Move you Datafile to a place that does not sync with iCloud, in your Home folder, or in a folder of your Home folder

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023
    Options

Use/document/Quicken Data
    Folder 

I'm sorry, I'm confused by this. Is "Use" actually "Users"? Is "document" actually "Documents"? Is your User home folder between Users and Documents? Please understand I'm not trying to quibble over spelling; it can be important because of the issue @Gilles9 raised above, so that's why I'm trying to pin down the exact location of your data file.

The default location Quicken uses for data files is:

Macintosh HD
        Users
          your user/home account name
            Library
              Application Support
                Quicken
                  Documents
                    Your Quicken data file.quicken

Many people choose to move thier Quicken data file somewhere easier to access, and that's fine as long as it doesn't lead the file ending up on any cloud-based storage service like iCloud or Dropbox. For instance, I have a folder inside my User folder:

Macintosh HD
        Users
          my user/home account name
              Quicken
                  Documents
                    My Quicken data file.quicken

But you could have a problem if you have your Quicken folder inside your macOS Documents folder, like this:

Macintosh HD
        Users
          your user/home account name
             Documents
               Quicken
                  Documents
                    Your Quicken data file.quicken

If you do have it inside the your User Documents folder, then you should check your System Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > to see if iCloud Drive is on, and if it is, click Ooptions to see if Desktop & Documents Folders is checked. If it is, the copntents of your Desktop folder and your Documents folder are being stored on iCloud rather than your local hard drive. And Quicken can have problems with that. Moving your Quicken data file/folder to a location that is not within the Dekstoip or Documents folders — such as the path I showed above for my data file — will solve the problem.

If iCloud is not involved, but you use Dropbox to sync your local files, that can also cause a host of problems.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.