HELP! Accessing QW2017 After Computer Crash

Options

I currently am using Quicken 2017 - very elementarily - basically to just track income & expenses for both business and for rental property and generate reports for Cash Flow. I'm not looking to pay bills, monitor investments, sync all my bank accounts, etc. through the system and am basically happy with 2017. My problem is that my desktop where I used Quicken just crashed and I can't access anything…it just doesn't open.

Can i access my previous information another way and install it instead on my laptop or do i need a new subscription? Can my information be transferred to my laptop without access to the computer it currently lives on and If I need a new subscription, what is the best for my purposes.

I'm desperate but grateful that if I have to start over again that it is only April and only have to recreat 4 months and not 12 months!!

Thanks!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

Well, let's hope that your desktop computer crash was not because of the hard drive. If it was due to something else, then fixing that should allow you to access your Quicken installation and data file, again.

Or perhaps you could get some help trying to retrieve data file from that hard drive and then copy and paste it to another computer where you can install Quicken 2017. But in this case you will also want to retrieve the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI file from the hard drive and copy and paste it to the other computer or your Quicken 2017 will not function.

Or, do you have a recent backup file saved anywhere else other than on that crashed desktop? If so, then you should be able to restore that backup file on another computer after you buy and install a Quicken Subscription.

You might want to read the thread at the following link. It is about a similar issue with Quicken 2015 but that issue is common with Quicken 2014-Quicken 2017. :

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.