Bogus Separate Account appeared

Today I noticed that, at the bottom of the account bar, I have a "Separate Account". Going into it, it has a mixture of transactions for securities from two different investing accounts. The transactions themselves are odd in that I have transactions on those dates in the appropriate accounts but not for these amounts. I don't know how this unreal account got created. I'm a little nervous about just deleting it when I'm not sure where it came from or what the impact might be. Any thoughts?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the name of this account?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Mary Ann Edson-Plumb
    Mary Ann Edson-Plumb Member ✭✭✭
    The name of the account is a name I used a long time ago for an investment account that I later renamed. So it was IRA VG. The securities in the account are valid in that they are securities used in other accounts.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be inclined to take a backup, then Delete the account and see what happens.

You can always Restore if things go badly.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I might worry there are cross-linked records in the database and deletion might cause further damage. I'd try Validate & Repair first and see whether the bogus account goes away.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

• Mary Ann Edson-Plumb
    Mary Ann Edson-Plumb Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks to you both. I did the Validate and Repair, which didn't fix the problem. I removed a couple of transactions that were duplicates of those in other accounts and then did a Remove Shares, followed by a Close Account (vs. a Delete). So far, all my other investment account balances are correct, so there doesn't seem to have been any knock-on effect.
This discussion has been closed.