Tax Categories & Cash Management for Premier for Mac

Options
Ross Texas
Ross Texas Member

Like other Quicken Products:
 - You should know when you are making an entry to a category that you know will be included in your Tax Report!  A little "T" or something, since most people use Quicken to gather tax information.
 - Like Quicken Home and Business, you should be able to have your cash balance in Brokerage Accounts be displayed up in the Cash portion of the balance sheet on the left of the schedule.  I have a ton of cash in my brokerage accounts, but I look broke when I see the cash in my checking account as the lone value in the balance sheet.  This would also be helpful in cash management, which most people use Quicken for!
Thanks,Ross Walker, CPA

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You should know when you are making an entry to a category that you know will be included in your Tax Report!  A little "T" or something, since most people use Quicken to gather tax information.

Well, I'd say that when I'm entering transactions in investment accounts, I'm clearly aware that income recorded in brokerage accounts is taxable and in retirement accounts is not. I'm not sure any "T" indicator is really needed here — and if it were, where would you expect to see it on an investing transaction (where there is no category per se)?

For banking-type transactions, I'd say this isn't a bad idea, but I'm also not sure I see it as particularly important. I'm envisioning a little "T" in the Category field for categories which are defined as tax-related; is that what you have in mind? I'd have no objection to that. I guess since I, like more than 75% of Americans, no longer itemize deductions, I don't have much of a need for this. For those who do itemize, I could see this potentially being useful.

Your post suggests this Is something which exists in Quicken Windows? Could you post a screenshot of what it looks like?

Like Quicken Home and Business, you should be able to have your cash balance in Brokerage Accounts be displayed up in the Cash portion of the balance sheet on the left of the schedule.  I have a ton of cash in my brokerage accounts, but I look broke when I see the cash in my checking account as the lone value in the balance sheet.  This would also be helpful in cash management, which most people use Quicken for!

This duplicates an existing Idea request which you can see here. I suggest you visit that link and add your vote, and any additional comment you may wish, to that thread. (More votes for Ideas get them pushed to the development team for consideration, so joining onto an existing thread is likely to get the job done sooner. 😀) There is a different thread requesting to separate cash accounts from brokerage accounts, so that cash shows under Cash in the sidebar, so you might want to vote for and post in that thread as well.

(P.S. A suggestion for the future: if you have multiple unrelated feature requests, it's better to post each one individually than including two or more features in one Idea post. Again, it's all about getting other Quicken Mac users to see the idea, vote for it and talk it up, and the threads get messy when threre are multiple features being requested.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993