Within ONE investment account how to replace all of one security with another?

Options
anon321
anon321 Member ✭✭
Within ONE investment I want to replace all of one security with another. I tried search and replace and search and replace Recategorize that won't help.

See attached. I want to replace all the securities called "FiCash REL IRA" with "FiCash Rollvr RGL" all within the Investment account "ROBERT 1080 Fid Rollvr IRA". What search function can do it all at once instead of going line by line, date by date, item by item?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

There are several ways to do this. It depends on the security and what happened in real life. What type of securities are these?

Pick one:

• Use Remove Shares and Add Shares if you really need to confine the change to one account. Otherwise…
    • Use Corporate Name Change to simply rename the security from the old name to the new name if only the name changed.
    • Use Mutual Fund Conversion if these are mutual funds which were exchanged.
    • Use Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) if they're not mutual funds and the number of shares changed.

All of the above are under the Enter Transactions button in your investment register. Search and Replace is not what you want here.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why don't you tell us WHY you want to do this and how it will be accomplished in the real world. Neither "FiCash REL IRA nor "FICash Rollver RGL" sound to be securities, they sound more like sources of what ever's in "ROBERT 1080 Fid Rollver IRA." Depending on the situation you might use Sell/Buy Actions, Remove/Add Actions, the Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) Action, the Mutual Fund Coversian Action, or some combination of the above. I would guess that the Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock) Action might be the one you need but without a better understanding of the details, that's just a guess.

• anon321
    anon321 Member ✭✭
    Options
    To clarify. There are various investment accounts that Fideltiy's monthly statement sorts by individual -->then regular investment account, IRA, Rollover, etc. When I download the Fidelity statement for the month, it should enter the "security" information, which in this case is the dividend or income received, in the correct investment. For some reason, Fidelity enters the "FiCash REL IRA" as the investment even though it belong in the "ROBERT 1080 Fid Rollvr IRA" account. I haven't caught all these errors and am trying to do a bulk find and replace so that the income or dividends is posted to the correct income account. I just am using the headings shown in my attachment to locate what I want to change.

I hope this explanation makes it more clear.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

I hope this explanation makes it more clear.

It doesn't. What exactly is "FiCash REL IRA" in real life? That does not look like a name Fidelity uses, but rather something you made up. Is it a mutual fund, a money market fund, just plain cash, or what? Is "REL" your initials? How would we know?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

"it should enter the "security" information, which in this case is the dividend or income received, in the correct investment."

I'll restate that to.. "It should enter transactions related to each security - a dividend in this case - in the correct Account."

Is that correct? Or, should that read "it should use the correct name of the security that issued the dividend?

"For some reason, Fidelity enters the 'FiCash REL IRA' as the investment even though it belong in the 'ROBERT 1080 Fid Rollvr IRA' account."

I'll restate that to… "Fidelity uses the name "FiCash REL IRA" as the name of the security that paid the dividend, even though it belongs in the 'ROBERT 1080 Fid Rollvr IRA' Account."

This is where it gets turkey. The dividend IS being recorded in the ROBERT 1080 Fid Rollvr IRA Account, so what's the problem? Is the name of the security - FiCash REL IRA - wrong? Or should the dividend be recorded in a different Account? Or what?

IN THE REAL WORLD, what's the name of the entity that issued this dividend, and what's the name of the QUICKEN Account that should be used to receive it?

I think you'll end up having to make the correction one at a time. You should be able to run an Investment Transaction report for that security and in that one Account and then click through to each transaction to change the name. Still just a guess.

This discussion has been closed.