Quickfill specifying Transfer does not create entry in the other account

Options
HVW
HVW Member ✭✭

I have set up quickfill rules to record a transfer between accounts. When these get applied upon import from my financial institution the rule appears to be applied in the imported account but no record is generated in the other account of the transfer. This appears to be a bug unless there is some other explanation. Can this get fixed please?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Can you post a screenshot of the QuickFill rule? You should have "Transfer:[otheraccountname]" in the Category field. Also check that you have "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" checked in Quicken > Settings > Register.

Another option if this is a regular transaction on a schedule would be to set it up as a scheduled transaction. Then when you download, the transactions will match in both accounts and ensure that both ends of the transfer are reflected.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • HVW
    HVW Member ✭✭
    Options

Not sure where to find the rule to screenshot but I can confirm that "Transfer:[otheraccountname]" does appear in the Category field as shown here. I can also confirm that "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" is checked in Quicken > Settings > Register.

• RickO
    Options

The rule can be found by clicking menu Window > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules. You can use the search box to find the one you're looking for.

In the account register, please turn on the Transfer field (menu View > Columns) and see if "B2B Bank" is show there for this transaction. If not, then the transfer will not show in that account. Also, if the QuickFill is filling in the category field as shown in your screenshot, but not the Transfer field, then I would agree this would be a bug.

One more thing to check: edit the QuickFill rule, and you will see Transfer:[B2B Bank] in the Category field. Then click the Split button. You should see "B2B Bank" in the Transfer column of the first (and only) line of the split. If you don't, that would explain why the transfer is not registering.

Finally, you didn't say if you could set this up as a scheduled transaction. If so, that would be, at the least, a workaround if this is a bug.

• HVW
    HVW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks - setting it up as a scheduled transaction would not really be practical as there are different amounts whenever this happens and it is not on a consistent schedule. I'll take a look at your suggestion and try to figure things out. I am still suspicious this is a bug though.
  • HVW
    HVW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Found it - here is what I see
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

In your register for the account you are showing (e.g. not B2B Bank), could you temporarily make the Transfer column visible. Then double click the transfer transaction and see what it shows in the Transfer column. I'm curious if there is a red circle with an arrow like this:

or a gray circle with a red line through it, like this:

Either of those indicates Quicken thinks it's an invalid transfer. A transfer should look like this:

and clicking on the circle/arrow icon should open a separate window for the other account, showing you the transfer's other side.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As far as I can determine, you don't need the 2nd Split line in the Quickfill rule. You're transferring money from [otheraccountname] to [B2B Bank], so only 1 Split line would be needed.

The Category or Transfer field in the transaction must name the transfer-to account which is receiving the money. The transaction itself must be created in the account register where the money comes from, e.g., you're transferring money from [ABC Checking] to [B2B Bank]. When done correctly, a matching pair of transfer transactions will exist in your registers, one in ABC Checking, one in B2B Bank.
    If the transaction you're showing is/was created in the B2B Bank register, then you'd be transferring money back into the same account … which is incorrect.

• HVW
    HVW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @UKR - thanks - The transfer is created in the other account (not B2B Bank). The second line in the split shows up without my doing anything and cannot be deleted (I did not use a split when I created the rule). I am able to create the transfer manually.

When the Quickfill has failed to create the other side of the transaction I can delete the category altogether and save the transaction. Then I can edit the category manually to make it a transfer again and the other side of the transaction DOES appear. This is why I think it is a bug.
  • RickO
    Options

As far as I can determine, you don't need the 2nd Split line in the Quickfill rule. You're transferring money from [otheraccountname] to [B2B Bank], so only 1 Split line would be needed.

The only reason to look at the (single line) split in the QuickFill rule is because that's the only way to see what's in the Transfer field. The Transfer field is not displayed in the top-level QuickFill rule edit pane.

If the transaction you're showing is/was created in the B2B Bank register, then you'd be transferring money back into the same account … which is incorrect.

QMac won't even let you put the same account in the Transfer field as the one you are transferring from.

@HVW Simple question I should have asked earlier: when you are looking for the paired transaction in the B2B Bank register, are you sure you don't have any filters (Date/Type/Status) that would be causing the transaction to be hidden? If so, you would see a green Clear Filters button appearing on the line with the filters popup menus.

• HVW
    HVW Member ✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs - thanks for the suggestions - I will have to wait until I have a new import now to do this experiment
  • HVW
    HVW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @RickO yes - I am certain - I started to spot this when the balances in the other account were wrong. The other side of the transaction was definitely missing
  • jacobs
    Options

The symbol in the Transfer column, when you next download one of these transactions, will give us some indication of what Quicken is doing with the transaction. Usually if there is an invalid transfer in the Transfer field, Quicken will change the Category field to a generic "Transfer" (without the account name), but that doesn't appear to be happening in your case based on your first screen shot.

• mmorgan21
    mmorgan21 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same problem - this is a bug and is not consistent. It is always resolved by changing the originating transaction to another category then back to the transfer category. The entry then shows up in the destination account.

Quicken, please add this to your backlog to investigate.
  • jacobs
    Options

@mmorgan21 Quicken, please add this to your backlog to investigate.

This website is not Quicken Support, and the developers are unlikely to ever see your comment here. If we are able to figure out a way to consistently reproduce this issue, though, it can be reported and added to Quicken's bug database.

• HVW
    HVW Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @jacobs This website is not Quicken Support, and the developers are unlikely to ever see your comment here. If we are able to figure out a way to consistently reproduce this issue, though, it can be reported and added to Quicken's bug database.

It happens consistently for me so pointing Quicken Support to this thread should provide sufficient detail. Where does one file bug reports so that they can investigate?
  • jacobs
    Options

It happens consistently for me so pointing Quicken Support to this thread should provide sufficient detail. Where does one file bug reports so that they can investigate? 

@HVW You can document the issue with text and screenshots and submit a bug report from the Quicken program, using Help > Report a Problem. Be as detailed as you can about how someone at Quicken can reproduce and see the problem. You can include the URL of this thread if you think it will help in explaining/depicting the problem.

The problem with Report a Problem is that it's a one-way flow of information into a black hole. Your submission won't be acknowledged. There's no way to know if they were able to verify it and document it as a bug to be fixed or unable to verify it and discarded the report. And if they can reproduce it, there's no way to know how long it will be until it's fixed; some bugs get fixed in the next release, while others languish for months or years.

The other approach, which allows for some interaction, is to call Quicken Support. They can do a screen share to view what you're seeing on the screen, and then if necessary, pull log files if they will help document the issue. If you can get them to see the problem you're seeing, and if you have a good support representative on the phone, they can escalate the issue to the developers as a bug report.

This discussion has been closed.