The "account balances report" under the net worth tab generates the wrong balances

Options

Under the net worth tab are "net worth summary report" and "account balances report". The balances shown in the "account balances report" are incorrect and differ from the account balances in the account sidebar.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you backed up your data, then done a File > Validate and repair? Sometimes that fixes this sort of issue.

Make sure the ending dates for the reports are both set to today.

In the past there have been issues with some versions of the reports. Try the built-in reports at Reports > Net Worth & Balances rather than those accessed elsewhere and see if the problem persists.

Click the gear at the top of the Account Bar and make sure it is set to Show current Balance.

If none of the above explains the issue, one thing you can do is to set the ending date for the reports back in time until the error goes away. Zero in on the date when it first occurs and look for a transaction on that date that might explain the issue. Often just one account will be affected, so you can narrow your search to that account.

Sometimes deleting and re-entering the suspicious transaction will fix a problem like this.

If a balance is left (sometimes just a few pennies) after the final sale for a security, make sure the Sell all shares in this account box is checked in the Sold transaction.

Be sure to back up your data file before altering historical data, just in case ...

Please post back and let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Joe Shum
    Joe Shum Member
    Options

Thank you for your response.

I tried Validating and Super Validating my file. Both actions did not solve the problem.

I am using the latest version of Quicken, V. R49.22, and note the following:

1. When I use the built-in Reports at Reports > Net Worth & Balances > Account Balances: The numbers are correct and they match those in the Account Bar.

2. When I click the "Net Worth Summary Report" button on the Net Worth page: The account balances are also correct and consistent with those in the Account Bar.

3. When I click the "Account Balances Report" button on the Net Worth page: The numbers differ from those in the Account Bar substantially. I notice: (a) The numbers for Bank Accounts and Credit Card Accounts are consistent with those in the Account Bar. (b) The numbers for Investment Accounts are the ones that are incorrect, and some of them err by huge amounts. My file has data from over 10 years. I have made several big fund transfers recently between the Investment Accounts, but I did not see much change to the account balances of those accounts during the same periods. However, in one of the brokerage accounts that did not have fund transfer transactions, the account balance is correct. I suspect this may be the problem - the computations did not take into account non-cash transactions.

It seems that there is a bug in the software for the "Account Balances Report" under the Net Worth tab. The software apparently uses a different algorithm in the computations giving erroneous account balance numbers.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for figuring this out, and I see similar issues in my data files. It turns out this has been an issue for some time but I don't see any acknowledgement by Quicken. The Net Worth page with the incorrect Account Balances report can be accessed by going to Property & Debt > Net Worth or by clicking on the Net Worth link at the bottom of the Account Bar.

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

Updates on problems that Quicken has acknowledged are posted at the link below.

Quicken never says when a problem is expected to be resolved.

https://community.quicken.com/categories/alerts

QWin Premier subscription
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

I'm seeing the same. Investment account balances are (wildly) off. Balances for Banking, Credit Card, Asset and Cash accounts are all correct. I've submitted an error report.

This discussion has been closed.