Question Regarding the Spending Pie Charts

Options

I'm a newbie with Quicken…I find the Spending pie charts very helpful in reviewing my monthly outlay across various categories. My question…the transactions that are listed below the pie charts never add up to the total dollars shown in the chart. For example, if my spending in the Health & Fitness category shows as $1,000 for April, the transactions listed in the bottom section may only add up to $750, $850, etc. What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't the transactions below equal the amount shown in the pie chart? Thanks for your help!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I wouldn't bother with that list of transactions below the pie chart, as it forces you to scroll through the list looking for a particular Category - it's easy to miss a transaction - and you'll also notice that if the transaction is a split Quicken doesn't break out that detail so the Categories associated with the split are hidden, unless you break out the split. All in all too difficult to use unless you have very limited transactions in your file.

Use the small "report" next to the chart that shows summary numbers by Category. You can click on any particular Category you're interested in and see exactly the detail behind the numbers.

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Only a guess here. See if this works? It could be that you haven't selected all the spending categories listed in Quicken. See the gear icon (upper right) in spending pie charts. Click on then select 'customize this graph' and double check you've selected ALL spending categories that fit your needs. Maybe this helps?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I wouldn't bother with that list of transactions below the pie chart, as it forces you to scroll through the list looking for a particular Category - it's easy to miss a transaction - and you'll also notice that if the transaction is a split Quicken doesn't break out that detail so the Categories associated with the split are hidden, unless you break out the split. All in all too difficult to use unless you have very limited transactions in your file.

Use the small "report" next to the chart that shows summary numbers by Category. You can click on any particular Category you're interested in and see exactly the detail behind the numbers.

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Only a guess here. See if this works? It could be that you haven't selected all the spending categories listed in Quicken. See the gear icon (upper right) in spending pie charts. Click on then select 'customize this graph' and double check you've selected ALL spending categories that fit your needs. Maybe this helps?
This discussion has been closed.