Roth IRA shows zero value

Options
rongee
rongee Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Hi,

I'm wondering what I'm missing here. I recently started adding my 401K accounts to quicken. Regular IRAs seem to be adding fine, but when I try to add a Roth IRA, it seems to add the account okay and connect to do an online update, but it says that the value in the account is zero. I can log into the IRA account manually (Vanguard) and it does show the current value, which is greater than zero. Why isn't Quicken showing the value? Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Click on the Holdings button for the account. What does it show? Do the securities match those on the Vanguard website, including the number of shares and the price per share? Normally the Cash in a Vanguard account will be zero.

Please post back if you are still confused.

QWin Premier subscription
  • rongee
    rongee Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi, and thanks for the response.

Sorry, I'm not seeing a button for "holdings" either in the standard view or the classic view. However, if I click on the account from the account list, it gives me a screen that says "no data to display" above the table that would show the securities, number of shares, price, etc. The window for "Portfolio by Security" is also empty. Under the Investing/Portfolio tab, it shows the account with $0.00 for both Market Value and Cost Basis. Under Investing/Dashboard, it doesn't even show the account.

It's quite possible that I'm looking at the wrong screen, of course. Thanks again.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh sorry, your account is in Simple mode so there is no Holdings button. It sounds like you have created the account but there are no securities or cash in it yet.

First, go to File > Create a backup and select Complete backup to back up your data in case something goes wrong.

If you click on the account name so the dashboard with 4 rectangles is displayed, there should be a gear icon at the top right. When you click on the gear, what are the first few options that are displayed?

If it says "Set up download", the Quicken account is not yet set up for downloading from Vanguard. If you click on that and carefully follow the directions, you should be good to go. It will try to match up your Quicken accounts to the corresponding Vanguard accounts. Make sure you match these up correctly. If the Vanguard account already exists in Quicken, select the Link option. If the Vanguard account does not exist in Quicken and you want to add it, select Add. If you do not want to track the account in Quicken, select Ignore. I think accounts that are already set up for downloading will be grayed out.

If the gear icon selections show "Update transactions" (it might be a little different for Simple mode) you should be able to select that and the holdings should download.

If you see something different, please let us know what you see and we will try to help further.

QWin Premier subscription
  • rongee
    rongee Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi JIm, Sorry, had to step away from this for a few days. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes.
  • rongee
    rongee Member ✭✭
    Options
    When I go to the account and get to the screen with the 4 rectangles, and click on the gear icon, what I see for the first item in the provided list is.....
    Download positions (with a little lightning bolt next to it)

I decided to try that after taking a backup and then seemed to do the trick. I've got data now.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ron
  • qwill
    qwill Member
    Options

Hi,

I had a similar issue. I have more than one account at the same institution (different types of accounts). Initially, when I added them, it showed the correct value for one account and 0 for the other. For the one showing 0, I tried using download positions. It succeeded in downloading data, but now shows wildly incorrect values for both accounts, with much larger amounts than should be there. There is some overlap in holdings between the two, so maybe it's assigning the full value of holdings in a given security to both accounts. Anyone know the best way to get such data to download correctly? The accounts are set up with Simple tracking; maybe I need to switch to Complete?

qwill

This discussion has been closed.