Closed Account still requires Vault Password

Options
HollyHo
HollyHo Member ✭✭
I recently had my bank account of 40 years hacked and had to open a new account with the same institution. The accounts required different logon ID and passwords at this institution. The old account is now closed (in reality and in quicken) however when I do a One-Step Update I receive an error on the old account. I checked my password value and it is still listed there with the olde login ID but no password (alongside the new account, new login ID and password). I checked the old account and it is indeed closed in Quicken without any online access.

How do I delete this entry from my password vault so I can stop getting an error message for this account every time I do a One-Step Update ?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When setting up accounts with a Financial Institution (FI) the FI will download data for all of your accounts, often including those that have been closed at both the FI and in Quicken. If you did not identify that closed account during the Online Services setup process for your new account and did not select Ignore for it during that process, Quicken would have set up a new account for it and would have included it in PW Vault with your other accounts.

Before proceeding, back up your data file.

1. In Account List check the box for Show hidden accounts.
    2. How many accounts do you see listed for that closed account?
    3. If you see only 1 account: Does it show that it is connected to the FI via Direct Connect, Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+? If so, click on the Edit button and on the Online Services tab click on Deactivate.
    4. If you see more than 1 account: The account names will likely be a little different from each other so you might need to review each of them to see which is the account you want to keep (for historical records and reports) and which one(s) are errant. When you have identified which one(s) are errant, click on the Edit button for that account(s) and then click on Delete Account. For the account which you want to keep, if it shows that it is connected to the FI via Direct Connect, Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+ click on the Edit button and on the Online Services tab click on Deactivate.

Did this resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• HollyHo
    HollyHo Member ✭✭
    Options
    In the accounts list, this account is shown as hidden and closed. Under "Transaction Download" and "Last Download" it shows as "Not Available" - there are not multiple copies of the account. I do have a new account at the same financial institution with a different Quicken name and it has a different login ID and password associated to it at the financial institution. However, I deleted the financial institution and institution account number from Quicken so these should not be linked in any way.

When I open one-step update for all accounts, however, the closed account is on the list, asking for a password.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In addition to the old, now closed account in Quicken, are there any other accounts still activated for downloading using the old user ID and password? Savings, VISA, loan?
    The old bank user ID and password will disappear from the Vault only after all accounts using this ID have been deactivated.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@HollyHo - When you said it shows up in Account List as Hidden and Closed, did you mean you are seeing something like this where there is a red circle with a diagonal line through it? I'm just wanting to confirm that it truly is a closed account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.