"Matching Security" popup not working.....

Options
2»

Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

That is disappointing. Not sure what to do next.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, shoot! Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!!
  • markus1957
    Options

Even though you can't download a QFX from the FI, you might still try the other part of the FAQ which is to delete the Ticker symbols on the 7 corrupt holdings you renamed (the ones greyed out matched with online security) and then manually enter the 7 holdings with the correct tickers. Then change each of the 7s transactions to the manual security with the ticker. Then delete the holdings without tickers.

The new account is of no use so you can deactivate it, forget about moving transactions and delete it.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    If I did that do you think the OSU would match those entries to the "Unidentified Securities" or would the mismatch remain in the online center?

It's beginning to look like maybe my file has some type of corruption that is affecting the connection with the FI because everything imports perfectly between a new file and the FI. It may have been caused or coincidentally began around the time of the Error in early March. Would it make sense to try to make a new file and then import a backup file from before the Error occurred? This would take a lot of work to bring all our accounts current so I would only want to do it if we thought it would solve the issue. If I did it, are there any tricks or shortcuts you know of to make this process a little easier?
  • markus1957
    Options

I would think restoring from a backup taken before the error occurred would work. It would just be a matter of bringing the rest up to date. You cannot import a backup to a new file. There are no tricks. A couple of months is very doable.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just tried restoring from a backup a month prior to the Error and when the Unidentified Securities started showing up and it doesn't look like it made a difference. After running an OSU I still get the same 7 Unidentified Securities. Is there anything else I can try if it is in fact my file vs the account that is having the disagreement with the FI?
  • markus1957
    Options

Not that I can think of.

• markus1957
    Answer ✓
    Options

I hate to keep throwing things at the wall but here are a couple of more suggestions.

You could look at the OFX log. It is accessed via Help>Contact Support>Log Files. It is a mess to look at but you will see the list of holdings reported by the FI. You can save the log to a text file for easier searching. That will show what the FI is providing Quicken to interpret. This is really something more useful to Quicken Support if they would look at it.

The other more useful step is to try a File>Copy using the Advanced Template option. It builds a copy of your file record by record and disconnects the copy from all online services as well as creating a new cloud file. Accept the defaults during the process and you will have a copy that hopefully leaves behind the corruption. For a higher probability of success, make the copy from a restored backup from before the error and before performing an OSU on the backup. Open the Copy file, don't select Mobile/Web, and activate the Copy problem account for Online Services. Cross your fingers. If it does not work, just disregard the Copy file.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I've already thrown everything I have at the wall so the more ideas the better:)!

On the OFX log, Is that read only to help isolate where the problem is originating or can we edit that somehow if it shows that the FI is the problem?

I will create a Copy file as well and see how that goes.....
  • markus1957
    Options

The OFX log should show if an accurate CUSIP is being provided by the FI as well as a real holding Name as opposed to Unidentified Security. It's for pointing to the cause rather than any way to fix the issue. Hoping for the best on the Copy.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ok, so we may have some good news! I first worked through the OFX log and confirmed that all my Securities are accounted for and do have "UniqueIDs" or CUSIPs so that confirms our thought that it is a local issue with my file.

I then created a copy and only connected my problem account. After completing, it did not add any of my new positions into the register (I had previously deleted all the Unidentified Securities) but they all did appear in my Security List, CUSIPs and all! They all appear in my Online Center Holdings as well and when I click on "Compare to Portfolio" I still have Mismatches but now all my "new" positions that were showing as Unidentified Securities are showing correctly with the correct number of shares in the "Shares Reported" column and zeros in the "Shares in Quicken" column which should be exactly right.

Does this look and sound correct to you? I haven't tried this yet but since these "new" positions weren't automatically added to my register I'll go in and manually enter them. Once this is done, should that clear the Mismatch, assuming the number of shares is equal?
  • markus1957
    Options

Yes, congrats. I think you are back to a working file. Please report back once you have all your accounts back online.

Keep in mind your old file is still connected, but separate from the copy. Once you get the copy back up running to your satisfaction, deactivate all of the accounts in the defective data file. At some point after you are sure you have no need for it anymore, delete it.

If you like, you can rename your Copy file with Windows Explorer to something with a shorter name. You will have to search for it on the first open because Quicken will be looking for the old name. Good job sticking with it.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help! I am absolutely thrilled to get this resolved:)!

When you say to use Windows Explorer to rename the file do you mean go to the location of the actual file and rename the file itself vs changing it somewhere within Quicken? Is this also the correct way to delete a file, find the file itself in Windows Explorer and simply delete the file?

Do I need to delete or do anything special with the old web synced account?
  • markus1957
    Options

Yes, use Windows to rename the Copy file because Quicken does not have an easy way to rename a file anymore. They removed their Save a Copy process a few versions ago. You will need to double-click on the file after renaming it to open the file and store it as the default file to launch on open. You can also hold the Ctrl key while opening Quicken and that will open it without a file. Then you can navigate to the new file to open it.

As for the old file (and any test files), you should deactivate all accounts from online services. Once you have the new file set up with all of your accounts, including turning On Mobile/Web Sync if you use that, I'd delete that old file and your test files along with their corresponding _synclog.dat and OFX log.dat files to clear out the clutter.

In the newly renamed Copy file with SYNC turned On, use Edit>Preferences>Cloud Account to delete the old cloud accounts from the Quicken server. Deactivating the accounts in the old files along with deleting their cloud accounts will stop them from updating in the background.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have activated online services for all of our accounts and brought everything current on our copy file. I've also bought a couple new securities just to test the "Matching Security" popup and everything seems to be working perfectly. I'll keep testing things for a couple days and if all checks out, I'll move forward with renaming and making this copy file my primary file and deactivating and deleting everything else.

I really, really appreciate your persistence on this especially considering that I hadn't had much luck getting anyone's attention for several weeks. And I certainly wasn't going to get this resolved on my own. Is there any way I can recognize you within this forum so people can hear about my positive experience?

One last housekeeping question for you: I regularly make backup copies of my file, but I rarely Validate it and I've never created a copy before. Is there a recommended cadence for Validating and Copying your file beyond just doing a Backup?
  • markus1957
    Options

Quicken recommends validating only when problems are noticed. I tend to do it every few months just to make sure the file is in good shape. The Copy is a method of last resort. Hopefully you will never do that again. Even though it didn't help in this case, always keep a good backup schedule. 9 times out of 10, restoring from a backup is the easiest fix for most problems.

I was glad to help. Success on these one-off issues is recognition enough. You could go back and click my answer that directed you to make the Copy as Answering the Question. That will highlight the successful fix for any user in the future that may run into this unique problem.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ok, it sounds like I am doing the right thing then when it comes to my backup schedule and I just bumped into the rare instance when restoring a backup didn't fix the issue.

I'll go back and Click on Yes to your response that did it for us:)

Can I ask you one more question? What do you do/recommend doing when Quicken releases a new update? Over the last couple years it seems like I have issues with formatting or scheduled transfers, etc after performing an update as much as 25% of the time. Split transactions and our scheduled Paychecks seem especially vulnerable. I'm now wondering if that was a symptom of my file having some issues but I have heard several complaints about similar issues. I've come to dread performing an update and often waiting a while just in case some kinks need to be worked out. I'd love to know your thoughts on this:)!
  • markus1957
    Options

I'm always on the latest version of either the Beta or production. I rarely have a corruption issue from the update itself.

Other than for testing, I keep Sync OFF. That's a complex routine that is prone to problems, but many users love the feature and seem to do fine with it.

The one thing that consistently causes issues during an update is having a backup service like OneDrive or Drop Box running while Quicken is running. I always try to remember to pause OneDrive before starting Quicken.

On balance, I find being on the latest version is more useful than harmful.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another super helpful answer!! I do typically save my backups to my vault in OneDrive before performing an update so I know it is usually, if not always, running so perhaps that is my issue.

The "Sync" that you mentioned, is that for Quicken Mobile & Web? I'm guessing this Sync needs to be on if you wish to access your account via your phone? It looks like I have that Sync "on" but never use the web to access my account and have not gotten into a regular habit of accessing it via my phone so perhaps I should turn that off?
  • markus1957
    Options

Yes, Sync On in Mobile & Web preferences provides access to your data file via the phone app and web. If you don't use it, turn it off, if you do, that's fine.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    That's great. Thanks again for all your help!!!
  • BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have been working with and testing my file for nearly a week now and everything continues to work great. I have gone ahead and Deactivated all my accounts on my old file and test files and then deleted them. So, I think I am almost there. I renamed my new file (the copy) to Finances and this is what it looks like in Windows Explorer...

Is it ok to delete the three .dat files that show the old name "financecopy_...."? This would leave one SyncLog and one OFXLOG in addition to the actual .exe file.
  • markus1957
    Options

Yes, on the deletions. Congrats on working thru it.

This discussion has been closed.