"Matching Security" popup not working.....

Options
BlueAkiva
BlueAkiva Member ✭✭

The connections with our investment accounts are working great with one exception. The "Matching Security" dialogue box does not popup when a NEW security is downloaded, which would give me the opportunity to add it. Instead, it just gets added into Quicken as an "unidentified security".

All other transactions are downloaded correctly for this account and even the Matching Security popup function works on all our other accounts. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this? Is it possibly a settings thing? I've had the account for a long time and have only been experiencing this issue for the past month or so.

Best Answer

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

I hate to keep throwing things at the wall but here are a couple of more suggestions.

You could look at the OFX log. It is accessed via Help>Contact Support>Log Files. It is a mess to look at but you will see the list of holdings reported by the FI. You can save the log to a text file for easier searching. That will show what the FI is providing Quicken to interpret. This is really something more useful to Quicken Support if they would look at it.

The other more useful step is to try a File>Copy using the Advanced Template option. It builds a copy of your file record by record and disconnects the copy from all online services as well as creating a new cloud file. Accept the defaults during the process and you will have a copy that hopefully leaves behind the corruption. For a higher probability of success, make the copy from a restored backup from before the error and before performing an OSU on the backup. Open the Copy file, don't select Mobile/Web, and activate the Copy problem account for Online Services. Cross your fingers. If it does not work, just disregard the Copy file.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @BlueAkiva,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Is this happening in just one investment account, or did this start happening in all of your accounts? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Also, which version of Quicken are you using? You can find that information by going to Help>About Quicken (example screenshot below).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for responding! I am currently running Version R48.15 and our file is stored locally on my harddrive. We have several accounts with Fidelity and one account with Fidelity Net Benefits (BrokerageLink). I've had all of these accounts connected with basically no problems for quite a while until the OL-220 Error occurred with Fidelity back around the middle of March. At that time the only account that had trouble connecting was our Net Benefits account. A couple weeks later when the issue was resolved our Net Benefits connection was restored and all our transactions started downloading again with the exception any NEW positions. Unfortunately, ever since the OL-220 Error the Matching Security popup isn't initiated to help determine what to do with the NEW position and instead it is just entered as an "unidentified security".

The Matching Security popup has always and continues to work properly with all our other Fidelity accounts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since it sounds like this issue is limited to one account in your file, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Kristina! I will give this a try. If either of these steps correct the issue should the "Matching Security" box popup to handle the "unidentified securities" that have been downloaded over the past several weeks and I have renamed correctly or would I need to delete those positions in Quicken before running a One Step Update? Does that make sense? I'm just trying to figure out how to clear the "Securities Comparison Mismatches" that have been accumulating as well.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

You would be unlikely to get the pop up for anything that already downloaded, but you should get it for anything new that downloads. Deleting the positions may work, but Quicken does remember what has already been downloaded (even if you delete it) and may not redownload the information. If that happens, you may want to restore a backup from before the positions were downloaded, validate that restored file, then download to see if you get the Matching Security popup.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Kristina! I Validated and Super Validated my file today (after backing it up) and then bought a new position today so I can test what happens tomorrow when I do a One Step Update.

If this resolves the issue what you're saying about restoring an older backup makes sense although it's now been about 6 weeks so that would require quite a bit of data entry to get caught up again:( Are there any tips on how to make that easier or do you need to manually enter all your transactions for all your accounts in order to become current again? Or is there a simple way to clear the record of Mismatched Securities?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

If restoring an older back up would create a considerable amount of work, one other thing you can try first (assuming the validate/super validate do correct the problem) would be deleting the incorrect positions, clearing the cache in Quicken, then running One Step Update to see if it will pull the information back in.

Prior to deleting, you would want to save a backup. Then you would delete those securities.

To clear the cache in Quicken, you will need to log out by going to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts, then click the blue link that says "Sign in as a different user".

Once you click that link, you will need to type "yes" in the confirmation textbox. Then, Quicken will log you out. Before logging back in, close the program and leave it closed for at least 5 seconds. Then re-open Quicken. Once it finishes loading, it will bring you back to the login screen. Log into Quicken and run One Step Update.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina!

Unfortunately, it appears the Validate and Super-Validate process did not solve my issue:( I just ran the One Step Update and the new security I purchased on Friday shows up as "Unidentified Security 1" in the download section without ever launching the Matching Security dialogue box. My only options are to Accept or Delete the transaction from here. Can you think of anything else that may be causing this issue? Thank You!

• markus1957
    Options

Look at Tools>Online Center. Choose the FI account with an issue. Click Holdings tab and the Compare button. This should display what Fidelity is reporting and a pop-up with mismatched securities.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Markus1957, Thank you for responding!! My issue actually has more to do with keeping these mismatches from happening in the first place. For the past 6 weeks or so any new positions I have from one of our FI's immediately downloads as an 'Unidentified Security" without launching the normal "Matching Security" box where we are able to tell Quicken what to do with the new security which of course doesn't match any of the existing securities.

We've had this account for years and Quicken has always correctly launched the "Matching Security" box up until the last 6 weeks or so. Oddly it still launches like normal for all of our other FI's and accounts. This of course is leading to an increasingly large list of mismatched securities which is very frustrating and can be seen following the instructions you shared. Do you have any thoughts on why the Matching Security box isn't launching as it should? Thank You!

• markus1957
    edited May 2023
    Options

I think you need to call support on this. The data in Online Center shows the holdings reported by the FI. Does anything look out of place in that list?

Something in the Quicken file is corrupted or the FI is packaging a bad download file.

You could try creating a new data file, adding the problem FI and see whether after downloading if the problem persists in the new file. If so, it is likely the FI. If not it is likely corruption in your data file.

Adding- Look in Tools>Security List to make sure you do not have an entry for Unidentified Security in the list. That would be a logical reason that the Matching window would not pop up.

Adding- In searching for similar reports I stumbled across you earlier post. It clearly points to an issue with Fidelity Net Benefits providing a defective download package.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Based on my experience with the "OL-220 Error" affecting only this FI and then my current follow-on issue, again only with this FI, it certainly seems logical that the FI or the communication between the FI and Quicken is the problem. However, if that is the case, I've been surprised that more people haven't been complaining about the same issue.

Also, I took your advice and setup a new Quicken file. While setting up a new account I connected it to the FI and had our transactions downloaded. They all came in perfectly without even launching the "Matching Security" box. Does this indicate that the problem is actually with my file, not the FI? Or are securities handled differently on initial startup like this? For example, this new file didn't have record of any securities before the initial download so wouldn't all my positions prompt the Matching Security box in order to determine what to do with them?

• markus1957
    Options

They are handled differently on initial setup. It would not prompt the Match because they are sent as existing positions rather than Buy transactions. They come in as Add Shares in the register.

I would look at Security Details for each position in the problem FI account and confirm that a CUSIP is present for each holding in each file. Without a CUSIP, the match will not be clean and may result in the Matched to online security box being greyed out.

I think your best option is to get upper-level support on the phone.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you so much for your help! Just to follow up on the CUSIP; on my main file the new (unidentified securities) are coming through without a CUSIP and as you say, the "Matched with online security" field is grayed out. On my new file the initial download did bring in CUSIPs for each security and the "Matched with online security" field is checked and not grayed out.

From everything you know at this point do you think the issue is with the FI? Can you think of anything else I can try on my end?

I have not had a lot of success with calling Quicken, I tend to spend a lot of time on the phone trying things I already know to try:( Do you have any suggestions on how to get to someone with the expertise and willingness to look at a unique issue like this? Thanks again for all your help!!

• markus1957
    Options

My guess is that the holdings in your problem data file with a greyed out Matched with online security box are corrupted and causing the problem. I don't know how to fix that other than to delete them which is very tedious because holdings with a transaction history cannot be deleted. But the fact that new securities are coming in without a CUSIP leads me to believe the account itself may also be corrupted.

You are right to think that more users would be complaining about this if it were the FI, assuming we are talking about Fidelity Net Benefits as they are pretty big. After your next Buy transaction for a new holding is downloaded, if the new file behaves as expected and your problem file remains broken, I would say that points to your file. Until then, I'm not sure.

How many greyed out "matched" holdings are we talking about?

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

I currently have 7 new positions since this all started that downloaded without CUSIPs and were entered as Unidentified Securities. The "Matched with online security" box is unchecked and grayed out for all of them. After the positions are added I have edited the transaction to show the correct Security and Symbol so my Holdings show correctly but this of course creates mismatches in the Online Center Holdings. Half of these are just tests where I purchased 1 share of something new just to see if the problem was resolved. That includes a purchase I made on Friday and downloaded today…unfortunately with the same problem.

If deleting these positions would correct the issue it would be well worth it because at this point there aren't that many and I've owned them for 7 weeks or less at this point. I did delete the Buy transactions of these new securities in my register at one point hoping it would force the Matching Security prompt to launch the next time I did a One Step Update but that did not work. I don't know how to delete the "Unidentified Securities" listed in my Holdings in the Online Center which I thought might be necessary. Do you know if that is possible?

If we think the issue is with my file, either these securities or this account, how do I go about correcting that? I did run Validate and Super-Validate recently and that did not detect any errors. I have several other FIs and accounts setup with One Step Update and they have all continued to work perfectly.

• markus1957
    edited May 2023
    Options

I understand you see Unidentified Security in Online Center. I'm interested in whether you also see it listed in Tools>Online Center? Because if it is there, that definitely needs to be deleted.

Take a look at this FAQ for ideas.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, when I go to Tools>Online Center and pull up Holdings for this FI (Fidelity NetBenefits) I see all 7 of my Unidentified Securities listed. What is the proper way to resolve/clear these?

• markus1957
    Options

Online Center derives from Fidelity so that points to them, unless file corruption is the cause. I meant do you also see it in Tools>Security List?

See this FAQ.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the Unidentified Securities show up in my Tools> Security List as well. Of course I have changed them to reflect the actual Security name now but this is how they show up initially. Thank you for passing along the FAQ. I ran across this a while back as well but the process seemed a little daunting (I've never done it that way before) and I wasn't sure that a QFX file was available for download from NetBenefits. Perhaps I need to try this. If it worked, do you know what it would do with the "Unidentified Securities" listed in Tools>Online Center? Are we thinking they would be replaced with the correct Securities when the process was complete?

I just had another thought, tell me if you think this is possible. I've been experiencing what feels like an ongoing problem with every NEW position but all my other transactions for this account download correctly. Is it possible that rather than being an ongoing problem/corruption it was more of a one-time problem that allowed a new position to get logged as "Unidentified Security" in the Tools>Online Center. Then subsequent NEW positions are just matching "Unidentified Security" and so Quicken is just entering them without launching the Matching Security prompt to correctly handle them. If this is what is happening, it seems like it would also require us to clear that "Unidentified Security" from Tools>Online Center.

Do you know if there is a way to delete/clear the Unidentified Security from Tools>Online Center more directly than the QFX upload option? If not, do you think the QFX upload would clear it?
  • BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    It looks like I have the option of downloading transactions as a QIF or CSV file from NetBenefits. Do you know if a QIF file will work in place of a QFX file?
  • markus1957
    Options

Neither of those file types will work.

As far as renaming Unidentified Security, that could also contribute to the problem.

You may be right about Unidentified in Online Center. That should never happen because that info is supposed to derive directly from the FI download. No way to just delete, they have to be unwound.

My recommendation is -

1. Make a Windows copy of your file as a backup so you can revert if this does not work.
    2. Unwind your seven positions of Unidentified Security that you renamed to the correct name by deleting all transactions associated with those positions. You did this once before but missed the next step.
    3. In Tools>Security List delete the 7 holdings you renamed and also delete any Unidentified Security. It will not allow deletion of any holding with a transaction history so if one of them still has transactions in it (it shouldn't if they really are only 7 weeks old and you completed the previous step) you will have to see why that is.
    4. Close Quicken and re-open it.
    5. Try a OSU and hopefully you will get the Match window. You should select No for Quicken to create new Holdings that hopefully have CUSIPs and look like the entries from your test file.
    6. The OSU should have brought in Add Shares transactions for the 7 holdings. Accept those for now and you can later manually enter the actual Buys and Divs if there are any, then delete the Add Shares.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ok, I just followed your steps above but the OSU didn't bring up the Match window or bring in any transactions to Accept:( It just acted as though everything was up to date. When I go to Tools>Online Center the Holdings there are unchanged and now of course there are no mismatches showing when I click on "Compare to Portfolio" because I've deleted the 7 positions.

It seems as though we now just need the FI and Quicken to get a fresh look at each other. Would it help to "Deactivate" or "Reset Account" under the Online Services tab?
  • markus1957
    Options

Is it still showing Unidentified Security in Online Center?

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, if I go to Tools>Online Center it looks just like the image above with 7 instances of Unidentified Security. Do you think refreshing any options on the Online Services tab would help?
  • markus1957
    Options

Try Reset first then deactivate.

• markus1957
    edited May 2023
    Options

If neither of those work, last option would be to deactivate account. In Account Details, Delete text from Financial Institution and Account Number inputs. Then use Tools>Add Account to Add a new account to your file. This will bring in Add Shares and a bunch of other transactions.

Look at Online Center to see if you now have a correct set of holdings in the new account. If so, you can then move all of the transactions from old account (right-click on a transaction in the old account register and select move) that did not get downloaded to the new account. Before moving transactions, if any have a status of Reconciled, change them to Cleared or you will get a prompt for each moved transaction. You can delete the Add Shares transactions after the Move as they will duplicate Buys you move over.

Once you have the new account set up and balanced, delete the old account.

Adding- Do not move any transactions from the old account that are associated with the 7 problem holdings. They should all come over in the new account when it is added.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, no luck with resetting or deactivating our online settings. So it sounds like that leaves us thinking that something about this account is corrupted, is that right?

I'll try setting up a new account like you suggest but a couple quick questions for you.... I've used this account for quite a while so it will take a fair amount of effort to move each transaction:( Is there a way to select multiple transactions to move at one time? Also, we have a lot of transfers coming in and out of this account, will those continue to reference the correct accounts and categories after I move them?
  • markus1957
    Options

Yes, the right-click when selected will bring up a window to allow you to select multiple transactions. The transfers should stay aligned with the transfer account.

• BlueAkiva
    BlueAkiva Member ✭✭
    Options
    Oh boy, I setup the new account but when I connected it and ran the initial download it entered buy transactions of Unidentified Securities for all 7 securities again, unlike what it did in my Test file. The date, number of shares and price information is all correct.
This discussion has been closed.