transferring shares between accounts

Options
William Durham
William Durham Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have consolidated some of my retirement accounts at Schwab. In Qucken, I used the transfer shares between accounts function from the source account to the destination account. The transfers show up in the register but it didn't make any difference in the share balance in either account. The holdings are the same in the source account as they were before I did the transfer. is there an additional step I need to do to make the shares actually transfer in Quicken? I am using Quicken Home and Business and its up to date.. Thanks

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Shares Transferred between Accounts should enter one Removed transaction for each security in the old account and one Added transaction for each tax lot of each security transferred in the new account. This may be dozens of transactions if you have been reinvesting dividends.

Do you not see these transactions?

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

if you have non-applicable placeholders in either or both accounts, that might cause the share balances to not be shown correctly.

Make sure you have the preferences set to show hidden transactions In evaluating the existence of placeholders.

• William Durham
    William Durham Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply, I think I do have placeholder transactions but not sure how that impacts transferring shares between accounts.

BD

• Jim_Harman
    edited May 2023
    Options

Placeholders force the number of shares to a certain quantity and sometimes they are hidden

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure Show hidden Transactions is checked to reveal the Placeholders.

• William Durham
    William Durham Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Shares Transferred between Accounts should enter one Removed transaction for each security in the old account and one Added transaction for each tax lot of each security transferred in the new account. This may be dozens of transactions if you have been reinvesting dividends.
    >
    > Do you not see these transactions?

Jim.. I do see the transactions in the register of both accounts, but the holdings in both accounts didn't change. Its really weird, like it just half way did what it was supposed to do.
  • bobbakerarizona
    bobbakerarizona Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have a similar problem.

Using the 'transfer shares between accounts', only shows 'shares removed', and it DOES NOT show the account with shares added.

Is this a Quicken bug?

• William Durham
    William Durham Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @bobbakerarizona said:
    > I have a similar problem.
    >
    > Using the 'transfer shares between accounts', only shows 'shares removed', and it DOES NOT show the account with shares added.
    >
    > Is this a Quicken bug?

Bob.. in my case, the transfers show up in both accounts, but the share balance wasn't changed in either account. Obviously something isn't right with the transfer shares option.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

@William Durham Did you go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure the Show hidden Transactions box is checked? That makes Placeholders visible.

Then go to each account and see if there are Placeholder transactions after the Removed and Added transactions that moved the shares to the new account.

Placeholders will have a gray background in the account’s transaction list (register) even if they are not selected, and will have “Entry” in the Action column.

• bobbakerarizona
    bobbakerarizona Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I checked. The show hidden transactions was checked. No placeholders.

I'll keep investigating…

This discussion has been closed.