Quicken wont open data file - because it is open in another applicatation? (edit)

Options

Has anyone had a issue that when you Click on the ICON on your desktop it gives you an error that says that that it could not be open because it is open in another applicatation and something about backup sync?

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @mike/Julia,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed.

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

are you clicking on the large red Q icon for the Quicken application program ?
    or clicking on the Quicken QDF data file located on your desktop ?
    or clicking on some downloaded QFX file shortcut icon for Importing into Quicken ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mike/Julia
    mike/Julia Member
    Options

When Clicking on the Shortcut to Quicken Icon.

• mike/Julia
    mike/Julia Member
    Options

Here is the Screenshot

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure it mentions backup sync or bagent.exe? If the latter, that is the Quicken scheduler that has hung and needs to be ended in Task Manager.

• mike/Julia
    mike/Julia Member
    Options

Here is the the screenshot

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

ahhh…. tnx for the screen shot -
    it's trying to open the Quicken DATA file - so, totally different discussion -

Where exactly is your Quicken QDF data file located ?

Are you using ANY cloud storage systems to backup that specific location / folder ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mike/Julia
    mike/Julia Member
    Options

Yes, But I think the ,dat File is corrupted. How can I stop the Automatic backup?

• mike/Julia
    mike/Julia Member
    Options

How do I fix the DATA file if it is Corrupted?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you answering "Yes" to this question?

Are you using ANY cloud storage systems to backup that specific location / folder ?

If so, if you are using MS OneDrive or Dropbox or any other cloud backup software, you need to reconfigure the cloud backup software to NOT access the Quicken data file (*.QDF) at all. Instead, in Quicken configure the Manual or Automatic Backup process to create a backup every [1] time Quicken closes. And configure your cloud backup software to send the just created Quicken Backup file (*.QDF-backup) to the offsite cloud location.

Once this problem is solved, Quicken should open as usual.
    You won't know if your Quicken data file is corrupted until you get the cloud backup to stop accessing the data file.

This discussion has been closed.