Why Can't Previous Balance Amount be Changed in Reconcile?

Options
The Keeper
The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭

After reconciling today, my reconcile balance was off by $120.00. Forty-five minutes later I finally discovered the prior month's balance in reconcile did not match the previous balance shown on my statement which was exactly a $120 difference.

I changed the prior balance to agree with the statement and manually entered the amount using my computer keyboard. It accepted the change until I open the reconcile window and it displayed the original amount.

I then changed the prior balance using the calculator icon, it accepted the change until I open the reconcile window and it displayed the original amount.

I finally just let Quicken adjust the balance.

Why is the calculator icon displayed and why does the window let you enter an amount if the amount is not saved when the reconciliation window opens?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It has been stated a few times that Quicken shouldn't have the prior balance in that dialog, or at least not as entry that the user will take as something they can change. The prior balance is always calculated from the transactions in the register, you can't change it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is so strange. The new statement shows my current ending balance amount. The first entry on my banking statement transactions shows "Previous Balance" amount, and then lists the transactions. When the reconcile window opens in Quicken, the prior balance amount is automatically displayed of course but the amount is different from the previous months ending balance.

Also strange that calculator is displayed adjacent to the prior balance window but doesn't accept a change in the prior balance.

I appreciate your reply.

This discussion has been closed.