Clarification needed for Old Quicken Transfer 2015 to Windows 11

Options
Ocuser007
Ocuser007 Member ✭✭

I understand that my good ol 2015 Quicken is not compatible with Windows 11 (my new laptop arrives soon so I'm prepping). Old PC is Win 10. From what I have read, I need to purchase the latest Quicken version (subscription only-booo) and install. Fine. Easy to do. Do I then just bring in (restore) my "QData back up" that I created on my old PC and the data will all transfer ok? or are their bridge steps I need to take since it's taking a big jump? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You don't have download ability now … so I'd suggest buying PRE-subscription Q2017 and running that.

If you do dome research on this forum, you can probably find where to get Q2017 for free.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But yes, if you install or buy a newer version you don't need to convert your data or go though any intermediate steps to convert it. You might be able to get 2015 to run.

This article says after Quicken 2010 you don't need to use an intermediate version. Just open your data file in the new version.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ocuser007
    Ocuser007 Member ✭✭
    Options
    [{"type":"p","children":[{"text":""},{"type":"@,children":[{"text":""}],"userID":8486064,"name":"NotACPA","url":"https://community.quicken.com/profile/NotACPA","photoUrl":"https://us.v-cdn.net/6031128/uploads/userpics/222/n5IMZAFE8BQ9Z.png","dateLastActive":"2023-05-03T22:59:19+00:00","banned":0,"punished":0,"private":false,"domID":"mentionSuggestion8486064","value":""},{"text":" But I don't need to download my actual Q backup. I can Bring it in via Acronis or Carbonite back up correct? I just need the data. Also, what good does an even older version of Q do when I need to jump to Windows 11?"}]}]
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who told your 2015 would not run on Win11? I'm running 2013 on Win11 without any issues.

You need to read and follow the instructions in this thread to install 2015 on your new computer and move the data file to it.

If you go out and get a copy of 2016 or 2017 it will not work because of the issue discussed in the cited thread.

As a last resort, you can go with subscription Quicken, but I would try 2015 first.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ocuser007
    Ocuser007 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Splasher- It was on a Intuit forum. A number of people said 2015 won't work. Others (on this forum) say to use a patch, others say it works on Windows 11 fine. Obviously there is no 1 straight answer...lol.. I just want to be prepared & do it correctly and have a back up plan if I cant get my data to transfer. I don't think my new lap top even has a disc drive so I may be out of luck if my only option is to install 15 that way.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ocuser007, Quicken 2015 will run fine on Windows 11 as long as the following conditions are met:

1. Install Quicken 2015 from the installation media.
    2. Download/install the r17.4 Mondo patch from here.
    3. Copy the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI from your working installation of Quicken to the new one.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not having a disc drive isn't a problem, you just copy the contents of the disc to a thumbdrive using a different computer and then install Quicken from the thumbdrive.

You will need to install the last patch release for 2015. You can download it from this link: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html . You will also need to move the config.ini file as described in the previously cited forum thread. At the end of the install, Quicken offers to "run" Quicken, do not run it. You want to make all the changes without starting Quicken.

Lastly, you need to copy your Quicken data file ( .QDF ) from old to new. The file should go in the Quicken folder under My Documents, then you can double click on the data file to start Quicken using that file. Afterwards, when you start Quicken using the regular icon, it will know where to find the file and open it.

The comments that 2014 thru 2017 won't work is that you can't just install them on a new computer without having information/files from a previous working install (as cited in the thread) because of registration issues. You also can't start a new data file even going through the above process since the data file has to be registered which can't happen.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.