Need Help Opening Quicken Mac 2007 qdfm file

danphoto360
danphoto360 Member

I have a newer Mac and Quicken Starter for Mac (membership). When I try to open an old .qdfm file it tries to use Quicken Cloud to do so, but it fails. Quicken Support says Quicken Cloud will no longer open Quicken 2007 files so I'm stuck.

Hoping someone in the Community could open this for me and send me the data in a readable format (csv, Excel, etc.). There are no security concerns for me with this data as it's basically a checkbook with no online banking info, etc., only dates, payees, check numbers and amounts. I have tried Show Package Contents and opening the data file in a text editor, but unfortunately I get mostly garbage characters (no dates, no amounts, basically useless).

I understand one solution might be to install Mac OS Lion on an external drive and install Quicken 2007 on it too. Trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole. Happy to send a gift card for someone's help 😀

Comments

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭

When I try to open an old .qdfm file it tries to use Quicken Cloud to do so, but it fails. Quicken Support says Quicken Cloud will no longer open Quicken 2007 files so I'm stuck.

Conversion of Quicken 2007 files via Quicken Cloud is definitely still available. I just converted two random Quicken 2007 data files to verify this.

Could you tell us what the error was when the conversion fails?

Hmm, I decided to ask Google Bard about this, and it responded:

No, Quicken Starter for Mac cannot import a Quicken 2007 data file. Quicken Starter for Mac can only import data files from Quicken 2015 or newer. If you need to import a Quicken 2007 data file, you will need to purchase a more expensive version of Quicken for Mac.

So if you trust Google Bard, …

But in another place, I found a solution was to add the suffix to the 2007 data file, i. e., rename a file MyData to MyData.qdfm.

Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@danphoto360 Good advice from @lhossus above! Are you looking for just a data export of a single account for historical purposes, or do you plan to move forward with current Quicken Mac?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.