How to re-install Quicken with its current activation code?

Options
REJones
REJones Member ✭✭

My PC crashed yesterday, and I suspect the fix will be to erase or replace my main hard drive, which included Quicken with an activation code valid til Dec 2024. Once the repaired PC has been returned to me, will I be able to simply re-install Quicken with this same activation code? My monthly backup file is on a separate USB flash drive, so I'm hoping this full restoration will be smooth and easy.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have an active subscription you won't need an activation code at all. Simply install it from a CD or download and install it from your online account on Quicken.com or from: How do I download Quicken from Quicken.com to install or reinstall it? [Support Article].

When you install it you will be asked to sign into Quicken (use your current QuickenID and PW). Once you are signed in your installed Quicken will be active and ready to use. (There is only 1 Quicken software. Your subscription will tell it which edition you are subscribed to so it knows which features are to be turned on/off.)

It's a good thing you have your backup file on USB thumb drive. That will make the setup/fully restoration much easier. After you've restored your backup file I suggest you check all of your Preferences because some of them will likely be set at the Quicken defaults instead of what you had set up previously. (While some Preferences are data file-specific there are others that are specific to the software.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• crwalejr
    crwalejr Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, Quicken stores this in the cloud. Simply log back into your account when you restore your backup.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

just to clarify, your Activation Code is only used once… at the beginning.

To reinstall, you need to download Quicken from the Quicken website.
    Then install, and sign into it using your email ID and password.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you have an active subscription you won't need an activation code at all. Simply install it from a CD or download and install it from your online account on Quicken.com or from: How do I download Quicken from Quicken.com to install or reinstall it? [Support Article].

When you install it you will be asked to sign into Quicken (use your current QuickenID and PW). Once you are signed in your installed Quicken will be active and ready to use. (There is only 1 Quicken software. Your subscription will tell it which edition you are subscribed to so it knows which features are to be turned on/off.)

It's a good thing you have your backup file on USB thumb drive. That will make the setup/fully restoration much easier. After you've restored your backup file I suggest you check all of your Preferences because some of them will likely be set at the Quicken defaults instead of what you had set up previously. (While some Preferences are data file-specific there are others that are specific to the software.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Options
    My thanks to all for your clear responses. Sounds like getting my Quicken up and running again will be pretty straightforward; as I had hoped. Much appreciated!
  • REJones
    REJones Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm happy to report that the re-install of my Quicken CD (along with my registered email and password) was fast and easy. My original activation code was retained along with the subscription expiration date. I then simply clicked on the most recent backup file, and Quicken instantly had me connected with my bank account and direct connect. So easy peasy!
This discussion has been closed.