Category removed by editing but still shows up.

Options
Barbara O'Keeffe
Barbara O'Keeffe Member ✭✭✭
I went in and edited the categories for this years budget removing a top level and all subcategories related to RV we sold. Yet when I come out from doing this, it still shows up with nothing but zeros in it. I made sure there was nothing listed for any of it for any month, but it still is there. How do I get rid of it?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Barbara O'Keeffe I'm not seeing this when I edit my budget. Just to be sure we're on the same page, do you go to Edit Budget, click Select Categories, uncheck the main category and subcategories you don't want in your budget, click OK in the categories window, and then click Save on the budget window. Omitting that last step of clicking Save trips some people up.

If that's what you're doing, then it might help if you could post a screenshot showing the categories in the budget screen and a second screenshot showing those categories in the Select Categories window.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Barbara O'Keeffe
    Options
    Yes, I am doing ALL of the steps.
  • jacobs
    Options

It would help if you could post a screenshot showing the categories in the budget screen and a second screenshot showing those categories in the Select Categories window.

• Barbara O'Keeffe
    Options
    As I was getting the screen shots I found that the categories screen was set for USED no USED AND UNUSED. When I selected that, there were subcategories that hadn't been used in quite a while. Unchecked those, hit done, and the whole Category was now removed. Thanks for prompting me to get the screenshot because that was when I noticed how it was showing and realized my mistake. Little tiny things you usually ignore will bite you every time!
  • jacobs
    Options

@Barbara O'Keeffe Glad you got to the bottom of it and it's working correctly now. 😀

I agree that "Used" drop-down menu in the Category selection window for budgets can be easily overlooked; after I read your comment I had to go back and check it to see what you were describing! The Category selection window looks similar to the one we see in configuring reports, but for some reason in the Budget, it has that filter which is not present when selecting categories for reports. For the budget, leaving it set to show Used and Unused is probably the safest setting, because it makes explicit which categories are and are not included in the budget.

This discussion has been closed.