What needs to be done to use existing datafile with new activation every year?

Options
leishirsute
leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭

If I purchase a new activation of Quicken every year rather than a renewal, what do I need to do to use an existing datafile?

Do I just need a different registration email address and reconnect all my account downloads?

Curious.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It probably does, but I don't know enough about that part of the process.

It shouldn't be necessary to do a "complete new registration" every year. IMHO, Renewal of the same Quicken ID with a new activation code or by renewing from the Quicken account website (at full price) should be all you need to do.
    I've done renewal from the account website forever and I never had to do anything to my data file and my account connections. As far as I can determine, at startup, Quicken gets the subscription data and that's all it needs to keep on going.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AFAIK, all you have to do is, in Quicken for Windows, go here and enter your new activation code:

Make sure you have less than 6 months left on your current subscription or you won't get the full new time period added to your expiration date. And that means, you can't stack multiple years worth of activation codes to get your subscription extended for multiple years.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

WOn't I have to reconnect all my accounts for a new activation or qill Quicken get the connections from the datafile?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The subscription period is part of your Quicken ID on the server. The Quicken ID is tied to your data file.
    When extending your subscription, there's nothing else you need to do. The bank accounts within your data file stay connected.
    You shouldn't even have to do the "Sign in as a different user" dance. Maybe close and restart Quicken if, after you entered the new activation code, Help / About doesn't show the new expiration date right away.

Someone who has more experience with subscription caveats needs to chime in here …

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To clarify , not doing renewal activation. Doing a complete new registration every year. Does that change the scenario of using an existing datafile?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It probably does, but I don't know enough about that part of the process.

It shouldn't be necessary to do a "complete new registration" every year. IMHO, Renewal of the same Quicken ID with a new activation code or by renewing from the Quicken account website (at full price) should be all you need to do.
    I've done renewal from the account website forever and I never had to do anything to my data file and my account connections. As far as I can determine, at startup, Quicken gets the subscription data and that's all it needs to keep on going.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@leishirsute

As long as you are not buying the "new user" version and creating a new Quicken Id each year, activation just extends your subscription and no other actions should be required.

If, on the other hand, you are going with the "new user" version, you would need to go through the Edit→Preferences→Quicken Id process of "logging in as a different user" in each of your files to change the "ownership" of the file from old ID to new ID. This causes the Quicken Cloud to be rebuilt from the current data file, so any long term history you might have had in QMobile/QWeb will be lost and re-established to just the last two years (I think that is the right time frame)

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's what I needed to know. I don't use Qweb or Qmobile.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

FYI:
    Today, I chatted with Quicken support to let them know that I planned to purchase a Quicken Deluxe DVD from a store to extend my current subscription because it was on sale for 40% off regular price. I told them I expected the activation code to be expired because most of the stores are selling Quicken DVD's from 2020. They asked for information about the sale and I sent them the store's URL of the sale. Quicken support said they could match the sale price. They called me to get my credit card, updated my subscription, and stayed on the phone while I verified my extended subscription in Quicken. They noted that they can make exceptions to the subscription extension pricing so it is not a guarantee that this will always happen, but it may be worthwhile to check with support first.

This discussion has been closed.