Why hasn't Quicken given user that ability to Copy & Pasting from the Register?

Options
Grebitus
Grebitus Member

This is an essential use of data to be able to copy and paste the entire register entry. I have asked for this feature faithfully since I was forced to give up my Mac Quicken 7 version from the early 2000's. It was the program version, not the web version and I was always able to copy/paste a complete entry from the register. What is it that's so difficult about the web version that Quicken is unable to provide this ability? It was essential for taking an entry or a group of entries and being able to copy it to documents for reports, communication, etc.
Please Quicken - just explain why you're unable to give Quicken users this important tool?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Grebitus First, please understand that this is a user forum, and you're not talking here to Quicken developers or a Quicken executives here. No one here can provide "why" answers for features not (or not yet) implemented.

Second, are you referring to the old Quicken Mac 2007? I just launched that program on an old computer, and I cannot find any way to do Copy on an entire transaction. You can select and copy any text in any field of a transaction and copy it, but you can't highlight an entire transaction and copy it. (The Copy command remains grayed out until some text in a transaction is highlighted.) And I don't see how it could copy and paste in any useful form because there are many fields in each transaction, and many more if splits are involved.

Now, in current Quicken Mac, if you want to paste transactions into a report or email, it is possible to select one or more transactions, export to CSV, and then open the CSV file to copy and past the text. I'm still not sure how useful that would be in a text document; you'd probably replace the commons with Tabs, and perhaps edit out a few fields? (It's clearly more useful in a spreadsheet).

(I'm referring above to the desktop versions of Quicken 2007 and modern Quicken Mac.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You can also print selected transactions from the register. But instead of actually printing, select the PDF menu in the Print dialog and save as PDF in order to include in a report or communication.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a Quicken for Windows user, I can start a new register transaction, fill in the Date, tab to the Payee Name field and begin typing the payee name, e.g., "amaz". This brings up a popup selection list with memorized prior transactions I made to Amazon. Now all I have to do is to select which one I want and that transaction's data are copied into the new transaction. Make any updates to price, memo or category and I'm done with just a few keystrokes. No Copy and Paste needed.
    Doesn't Q Mac have a similar Quickfill feature that you can use to create new transactions from prior ones?

And for regularly recurring transactions like your monthly utilities bill, your paycheck, etc., I recommend the use of Scheduled Transaction Reminders.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2023
    Options

@UKR Yes, Quicken Mac has auto-fill from past transactions, quite similar to Quicken Windows. That has nothing to do with the question asked above, which is why you can't copy an entire transaction — date, Payee, Memo, Tags, Amount, Action, Check #, etc. — and paste it into some other document outside Quicken. That's a function that doesn't existing Quicken Mac now, and didn't exist in the legacy Quicken Mac (2007 and prior), either.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.