Reset PNC on 5.25, With Errors

Options
bw2
bw2 Member ✭✭✭
After resetting, the Online Balance reported for Checking is actually the balance from another related account. Impossible to reconcile to the Online statement balance as a result.

Comments

• bw2
    bw2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually worse than I thought -- all accounts are mis-aligned. Resetting is not possible as the option to properly link online accounts to accounts in Quicken is grey shaded out and not possible.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The issue you describe sometimes happens during Reset Account or when the connection method is changed. You said this issue occurred when you did Reset Account.

Did you also recently reauthorize PNC to switch from the EWC connection method to the EWC+ connection method? If so, it could be that this was really the cause.

The PNC EWC—>EWC+ transition process has caused issues for some (myself included) in which Quicken did a poor job of matching the downloads to the correct accounts. Accounts were mismatch, account types were changed, new accounts were added, etc. It is very important to very carefully review the matching process during the reauthorization process to make sure that the accounts are being properly matched/Linked to the correct accounts. Do not simply rely on Quicken to correctly match/Link the downloads.

Do you have a recent backup file from before the Reset/Reauthorization that you can restore? That is likely the best option for resolving this issue. Trying to fix the file you are using now will most likely be very time consuming and if the account type was changed it will mean adding new accounts, moving transactions and deleting affected accounts….a messy issue at best. After the backup file is restored you will need to reauthorize PNC for EWC+, again. If/when that happens be sure to very carefully check to make sure the download is linked to the correct account(s) and that the account type that is shown is correct.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• bw2
    bw2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue -- the accounts are a total mess. Why in Quicken does it not allow you to line them up -- present the accounts found at PNC and allow you to line them up inside Quicken. Now when I try to set my primary checking account, it comes back and indicates it can't even be found.
  • bw2
    bw2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it just PNC or are Quicken users with other banks experiencing the same issues? I have had problems with PNC in the past.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Why in Quicken does it not allow you to line them up -- present the accounts found at PNC and allow you to line them up inside Quicken.

Quicken does usually allow one to review and manually link the accounts during setup process. During the setup process there usually will be a popup that asks you to confirm what Quicken should do with the downloads….Add Account, Link to an Existing Account or Don't Add. Many people speed so quickly through through this popup simply assuming that Quicken matched everything correctly when instead they should have taken the time to make corrections before proceeding.

However, during Reset Account it usually will not give you the popup because it is not changing the account connections, it is just refreshing the existing connect. When it changes the account connection Quicken should be giving the popup for review.

Now when I try to set my primary checking account, it comes back and indicates it can't even be found.

When an account is already set up for downloads, it cannot be selected during Add Account. You must deactivate the account first (Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate). If you have multiple accounts with the same Financial Institution to fix, you should deactivate all of them before doing Add Account or Set Up Now.

Is it just PNC or are Quicken users with other banks experiencing the same issues? I have had problems with PNC in the past.

These issues are not unique to PNC. They don't usually happen but when they do they can happen with any financial institution. Although I must say that this PNC EWC—>EWC+ transition has been more problematic in this regard than what I've experienced in the past.

The PNC Virtual Wallet connections (EWC accounts) have been problematic for as long as I have been a PNC customer (since Oct 2021 when BBVA USA was acquired and merged into PNC). There were so many issues during that merger that I quickly upgraded my connection to DC which has been pretty problem free. Most of the complaints about PNC connections that I've seen in this Community forum have been by people who had EWC connected accounts. (There is no point in trying to upgrade to DC now because DC, too, will soon be transitioning to EWC+.)

I'll state again that if you have a lot of issues with your PNC accounts you will likely be better off by restoring a recent backup file (dated before May 25). Fixing the issues in the accounts instead of restoring the back up file might be incredibly time consuming and in some cases (such as changing the account Type) might not be otherwise fixable.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.