Dividend Income Report (Q Mac)

RMW
RMW Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Reports (Mac)

Is there a way to show the security symbol (i.e. AAPL) as a separate column in the dividend income report? I can only select the name of the security but not the symbol.

This would be helpful in an exported report to build a pivot table in Excel.

Answers

• RMW

That works. Thanks so much.

I started a workaround in Excel using the XLOOKUP function to add the symbol to the report.

But your solution is way faster.

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    This might sound like a dumb question, but I'm almost a year into Mac Quicken (Premier 7.1) after 27 years on Windows, and the financial reporting is really sparse by comparison. Where is there a Dividend Income Report in Quicken Mac? I see transaction reports where there an about 12 million boxes to hunt through and that's a pretty primitive report. Also a million reports that apply to banking and budget, which to me is far less important. I'm retired and living off of my savings, and I firmly believe Quicken Windows helped get me there. Also almost no dedicated financial reports in Mac, much less filtering and formatting options. Unless I'm missing something?

Don't get me wrong - the Mac version looks like something Quicken would have come up with if they were starting from scratch. The GUI is cleaner, the processes are faster (clunky and slow in Windows version), the workflow is smoother, like approving transactions. There's even an undo in the Edit menu - something I don't ever remember seeing in Windows - once you delete a register entry, it better be right! So Q-Mac has a lot of attributes. I just wish they would catch up... but Dividend Report? Can I analyze my Div reinvestments, or Div performance, of Div History by equity? Or Acct.? If I use the register it's pretty spartan.

I've been forced to come up with some kludgy register reports to try to figure out some of the behavior of my managed accounts and compare them to what I'm doing in self managed accounts. Having an organized report to work from is a much better place to start. While I'm on the subject, is there such a thing as a Quicken Roadmap for Mac to give me some hope that the investing side is going to improve?

I am encouraged by the constant updates and adding features, but they treat the investing side of Mac QP like my broker - very high level superficial info, but little flexibility to see data in different ways (not to mention the lack of custom filters in the Portfolio View), or specific attributes like Morningstar ratings in Mutual Fund view, etc.

Quicken Premier Mac Classic (since 2022), Quicken Premiere Windows (1995 - current, but not actively using since Mac conversion)

• RMW

I have tried many portfolio trackers over the years. None of them handles investments very well. Especially when it comes to dividends. “Simply Dividends” is a web based tracker focused on dividends but their reporting is also not great. I too started with Quicken for Windows, then ran Quicken for Mac and Windows in parallel. That proved to be too work intensive. I now use Quicken for Mac to track my Finances and analyze dividends, gains, losses, etc. offline using Excel. I am also encouraged by the frequency of updates of Quicken for Mac but wish they would focus more on investment reporting rather than bill paying, dashboard and the like.

• RMW

Regarding customization, if I create a customized report (under MyReports) as described above, it still does not show the "Symbol" column. Which is what I wanted to see in the first place. I only see. the Symbol column if I export directly from the register. Looks that the Symbol column is simply missing from the customization window.

I would suggest for Quicken to hire someone with real investment experience so he/she would know what investors really need in terms of reporting and otherwise.

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    Thanks a lot for those responses. Will definitely check out the link and vote. Support also doesn't seem to know much and most of the time I get silly answers like Windows and Mac ore 2 different OS's, so that's why the features are different.

I believe Quicken started from scratch on Mac. It's so much cleaner and faster, and the workflow is so improved. The Win version - having used it since '95 - looks like they have modules of different components from different eras, and even something simple like accepting a transaction redraws the whole screen. And if you "accept all" it takes even longer. As limited as the Mac version is (also way fewer columns or options in portfolio view), it's so much more pleasurable to use. You'd have to be a Windows user to understand that

Quicken Premier Mac Classic (since 2022), Quicken Premiere Windows (1995 - current, but not actively using since Mac conversion)

This discussion has been closed.