Dividend Income Report (Q Mac)

RMW
RMW Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Reports (Mac)

Is there a way to show the security symbol (i.e. AAPL) as a separate column in the dividend income report? I can only select the name of the security but not the symbol.

This would be helpful in an exported report to build a pivot table in Excel.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

I think the only way you can do this is not with an actual report. Instead, do this:

1. Go the register for the account or account group
    2. Add the Symbol column to register (menu View > Columns)
    3. Set the All Dates filter to your desired date range
    4. Using the search box, top right, click the magnifying glass and limit the search to "Type"
    5. Enter "dividend" in the search box
    6. Click menu File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File…

Open the resulting CSV file in Excel and remove and extraneous rows and columns. I think this will be what you're after.

(Note: above answer is for QMac. OP's profile does not specify version they are using.)

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓

I think the only way you can do this is not with an actual report. Instead, do this:

1. Go the register for the account or account group
    2. Add the Symbol column to register (menu View > Columns)
    3. Set the All Dates filter to your desired date range
    4. Using the search box, top right, click the magnifying glass and limit the search to "Type"
    5. Enter "dividend" in the search box
    6. Click menu File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File…

Open the resulting CSV file in Excel and remove and extraneous rows and columns. I think this will be what you're after.

(Note: above answer is for QMac. OP's profile does not specify version they are using.)

• RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭

That works. Thanks so much.

I started a workaround in Excel using the XLOOKUP function to add the symbol to the report.

But your solution is way faster.

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Member ✭✭
    This might sound like a dumb question, but I'm almost a year into Mac Quicken (Premier 7.1) after 27 years on Windows, and the financial reporting is really sparse by comparison. Where is there a Dividend Income Report in Quicken Mac? I see transaction reports where there an about 12 million boxes to hunt through and that's a pretty primitive report. Also a million reports that apply to banking and budget, which to me is far less important. I'm retired and living off of my savings, and I firmly believe Quicken Windows helped get me there. Also almost no dedicated financial reports in Mac, much less filtering and formatting options. Unless I'm missing something?

Don't get me wrong - the Mac version looks like something Quicken would have come up with if they were starting from scratch. The GUI is cleaner, the processes are faster (clunky and slow in Windows version), the workflow is smoother, like approving transactions. There's even an undo in the Edit menu - something I don't ever remember seeing in Windows - once you delete a register entry, it better be right! So Q-Mac has a lot of attributes. I just wish they would catch up... but Dividend Report? Can I analyze my Div reinvestments, or Div performance, of Div History by equity? Or Acct.? If I use the register it's pretty spartan.

I've been forced to come up with some kludgy register reports to try to figure out some of the behavior of my managed accounts and compare them to what I'm doing in self managed accounts. Having an organized report to work from is a much better place to start. While I'm on the subject, is there such a thing as a Quicken Roadmap for Mac to give me some hope that the investing side is going to improve?

I am encouraged by the constant updates and adding features, but they treat the investing side of Mac QP like my broker - very high level superficial info, but little flexibility to see data in different ways (not to mention the lack of custom filters in the Portfolio View), or specific attributes like Morningstar ratings in Mutual Fund view, etc.
  • RickO

Quicken for Mac did in fact start from scratch a few years back. It's a long game to catch up to all the features of QWin. The product managers have stated that parity with QWin is the eventual goal, but nobody knows how many years that may take.

As for the roadmap, Quicken tells us very little about the immediate plans for improvements, although it's been stated that the Reports area is a current target. You can review this area of the forum https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas-quicken-for-mac to get a sense of what the community is asking for and vote for and/or comment on your favorite requests.

To your specific question: I confess I don't know what the Div Income reporting looks like in QWin. But for QMac, you can start with a basic Transaction Report and customize it. The key is, after you get it customized, make sure to save it to My Reports. Then a single click will recreate it as needed.

For customization, I'd probably start with a Transaction Report by Account. In the customization window, first choose which accounts you want to include. Next, click the Categories tab and Clear All. Then enter Dividends in the search box to filter the list of categories, and check off those you want to include. You could also, for example, include the Interest category if you wish. Be sure to look at the Advanced tab to decide if you want to include any transfer transactions in the report. This will, hopefully, give you a saved report that will mimic what you're able to produce in QWin.

One more tip: You can use the View button on the report to quickly collapse or expand all sections, to add or remove columns from the report, and to change the font and row settings. All of these parameters are saved when you save the report.

• RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭

I have tried many portfolio trackers over the years. None of them handles investments very well. Especially when it comes to dividends. “Simply Dividends” is a web based tracker focused on dividends but their reporting is also not great. I too started with Quicken for Windows, then ran Quicken for Mac and Windows in parallel. That proved to be too work intensive. I now use Quicken for Mac to track my Finances and analyze dividends, gains, losses, etc. offline using Excel. I am also encouraged by the frequency of updates of Quicken for Mac but wish they would focus more on investment reporting rather than bill paying, dashboard and the like.

• RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭

Regarding customization, if I create a customized report (under MyReports) as described above, it still does not show the "Symbol" column. Which is what I wanted to see in the first place. I only see. the Symbol column if I export directly from the register. Looks that the Symbol column is simply missing from the customization window.

I would suggest for Quicken to hire someone with real investment experience so he/she would know what investors really need in terms of reporting and otherwise.

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Member ✭✭
    Thanks a lot for those responses. Will definitely check out the link and vote. Support also doesn't seem to know much and most of the time I get silly answers like Windows and Mac ore 2 different OS's, so that's why the features are different.

I believe Quicken started from scratch on Mac. It's so much cleaner and faster, and the workflow is so improved. The Win version - having used it since '95 - looks like they have modules of different components from different eras, and even something simple like accepting a transaction redraws the whole screen. And if you "accept all" it takes even longer. As limited as the Mac version is (also way fewer columns or options in portfolio view), it's so much more pleasurable to use. You'd have to be a Windows user to understand that
  • RickO

Here's a specific Idea post for symbol in reports:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'd vote for it and comment that you also want a symbol column in reports.

This discussion has been closed.