Entering payee on check

Options
dgfulker
dgfulker Member ✭✭

When I access "Payee" to enter a check, I am presented with a list of possible payees that includes potential payees from over 30 years in the past, nearly all of which have long since been removed from my memorized transactions list. Where do these come from, and how do I get rid of them?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @agfulker

I think you may be confusing the memorized transaction list and the memorized payee list.

Those payees come from your Memorized Payee List. You can delete them by taking the following steps:

1. Go to "Tools" > "Memorized Payee List";
    2. I suggest that you click on the "Last Used" column - that will sort the list by the date you last used each payee;
    3. Starting with the oldest, I suggest that Click on that one and then page down to whatever date, or payee, you want to keep and then click on the entry immediately before that.
    4. Click on the "Delete" button at the bottom of the window.

That should do it. Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can do TOOLS, Memorized Payee List to edit them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• dgfulker
    dgfulker Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have used tools>memorized payee list, and edited that list. However, when entering payee on a check, a list of possible payees comes up that includes -- hundreds -- of payees that have already been removed, and no longer show on the memorized payee list. My question is, since these are not in the memorized payee list, where do they come from, and how can I eliminate them??
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @agfulker

I think you may be confusing the memorized transaction list and the memorized payee list.

Those payees come from your Memorized Payee List. You can delete them by taking the following steps:

1. Go to "Tools" > "Memorized Payee List";
    2. I suggest that you click on the "Last Used" column - that will sort the list by the date you last used each payee;
    3. Starting with the oldest, I suggest that Click on that one and then page down to whatever date, or payee, you want to keep and then click on the entry immediately before that.
    4. Click on the "Delete" button at the bottom of the window.

That should do it. Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look in Tools > Address Book. Maybe they're hiding in there.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• dgfulker
    dgfulker Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the idea -- cleaned a BUNCH of old addresses, etc. but the payee list still includes 30 years of stuff!
  • dgfulker
    dgfulker Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the replies (and on a holiday, too!) I'm not sure yet, but I think that between the :memorized payees" and the "address book" I may have deleted the problem children. I'll keep using the program, and see if this really minor, but really annoying quirk is cleared up. Appreciate your guidance!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Those old payees may have long since been removed from the Memorized Payee List, but as long as there are transactions in your registers with the old names, the new transaction line's Payee Name Selection List may still show them.
    If an old Payee Name conflicts with a newer version of same or similar Payee Name, try renaming the old Payee Name by adding a "~"(tilde*) or "zz" character to the front of the Payee Name. That will sort the name to the bottom of the selection list, where it's less likely to interfere with active payee names.

(*) the "~" character only works in Windows. Q Mac users should use "zz" or similar character sequence.

This discussion has been closed.