VSMGX changed 2023 price history

Options
msgchef
msgchef Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Investing (Mac)
Just started occurring. Saw a huge drop in gains on this one fund. Cost basis showed correct account value, All ok on Vanguard account, but Looking at the price history, on 1/6/23 price went from 27.44 to 16.33 and all year long on friday updates it stays in the 16 range, but today's price is 29.01 as it was last friday. I tried rebuild price history to no avail. No idea how this could happen, any thoughts, thanks as always to all who help us out.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

HI @msgchef

Sorry to hear about your issues with incorrect mutual fund price downloads. What you have experienced is unusual, and it is virtually impossible for us to know what went wrong with the downloaded prices you received for the last 4+ months.

That being said, I would suggest that you take the following steps to correct your historical prices (and your current behavior to only download prices on Fridays, will make the task easier). First, go to the Vanguard website and make a record of all the price quotes for this mutual fund from 1/6 through last week (you should be able to save a screen shot(s) of the prices, or just manually make notations of them).

Next, in Quicken go to "Tools" > "Security List" > click on the name of the Security > in the pop-up window, click on the "More" button at the top - in the upper right-hand side, and select "Edit Price History". In the pop-up window, yo will be able to edit each of the incorrect prices to the correct prices that you just downloaded. Once you have made the corrections, simply close the price history window.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jon @pstarfam @msgchef Obviously no one here in the user community has answers, only possible workarounds. I'd encourage you all to report this to Quicken via Help > Report a Problem and include a screenshot of a chart like @Jon's above or a screenshot of the Price History screen to illustrate the problem. Someone at Quicken would need to dig into this with whatever company is providing their security quotes service.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

HI @msgchef

Sorry to hear about your issues with incorrect mutual fund price downloads. What you have experienced is unusual, and it is virtually impossible for us to know what went wrong with the downloaded prices you received for the last 4+ months.

That being said, I would suggest that you take the following steps to correct your historical prices (and your current behavior to only download prices on Fridays, will make the task easier). First, go to the Vanguard website and make a record of all the price quotes for this mutual fund from 1/6 through last week (you should be able to save a screen shot(s) of the prices, or just manually make notations of them).

Next, in Quicken go to "Tools" > "Security List" > click on the name of the Security > in the pop-up window, click on the "More" button at the top - in the upper right-hand side, and select "Edit Price History". In the pop-up window, yo will be able to edit each of the incorrect prices to the correct prices that you just downloaded. Once you have made the corrections, simply close the price history window.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just added VSMGX to my Q to test this … and it looks like Q's quotes provider went cuckoo for a few months, but things have been fixed.

So, I'd just manually correct the month-end prices and delete the others.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The problem is more recent than that for me. My price history & the value of my investment in VSMGX was correct until I ran Quicken this evening & BOOM - suddenly the prices for the last month are way off. For me the prices are good up through 4/26 and wrong after that.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• msgchef
    msgchef Member ✭✭
    Options
    Frankx, interesting you noted the download prices were on friday only. I download almost daily as a habit so price history is limited to friday by whatever system q gets info from. You solution though tedious is probably what I have to do to get ytd averages correct. thanks.
  • Jon
    Options

So I fixed the last month's worth of prices for VSMGX and exited Quicken. Started it up again a bit later to enter receipts for the last couple days and now it's got a new set of bad prices for VSMGX, once a week from January through April - usually Fridays except for Easter weekend when the market was closed Friday.

Really hope this stops spreading. I have better things to do while traveling than sit in my RV typing mutual find prices into Quicken. 🤨

• msgchef
    msgchef Member ✭✭
    Options
    Wow it can't be a coincidence that it is just VSMGX, hmmm any idea where to report this? The account where this MF is held is Optum Bank, not Vanguard where the rest is. I don't know if you own it, or did the entry for a test to help me, but thanks.
  • pstarfam
    pstarfam Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm seeing the same thing going on. I deleted most of the bad ones added a few correct ones yesterday. I logged in today and everything I did was changed and it's worse. Help
  • Jon
    edited June 2023
    Options

This is still going on. Not sure exactly when (been a little pre-occupied the last 24 hours with the fuel pump failing in my RV) but I now have incorrect prices for VSMGX from the end of last year all the way back to 2018. Once a week on Fridays for the last 7 months of '22, before that once a month, on the last business day of the month. Not going to bother fixing these now, but it would be really nice if this quit happening.

The portfolio graph for one of my IRAs:

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jon @pstarfam @msgchef Obviously no one here in the user community has answers, only possible workarounds. I'd encourage you all to report this to Quicken via Help > Report a Problem and include a screenshot of a chart like @Jon's above or a screenshot of the Price History screen to illustrate the problem. Someone at Quicken would need to dig into this with whatever company is providing their security quotes service.

• msgchef
    msgchef Member ✭✭
    Options
    thx I was wondering how to get Quickens attention
  • jacobs
    Options

Just so you don’t get your hopes too high, you should know that submissions through Report A Problem will not be replied to — your report goes into a black hole, and you just have to hope they can replicate it and then push it through to the proper team for resolution. Don’t expect a quick fix (unless it’s something Quicken or their quote supplier is already aware of and working to fix).

• pstarfam
    pstarfam Member ✭✭
    Options

I have deleted the wrong quotes 2-3 times. I thing they are finally gone- hopefully

This discussion has been closed.