QMac 7.1 -- I updated today and now can no longer access my data files - revert back to 7.0.4

Options
mwangkc
mwangkc Member ✭✭

I updated today and now I can no longer access my data files.

I've tried my main file and several pre-update backup files with no luck. Can you offer any possible workarounds or solutions? Thanks!

"xxxxxxxxx.quicken was last opened on Wednesday, May 31, 2023 by Quicken 7.0.4 (Build 700.48787.100).

Choose Quicken > Check for Updates to make sure you have the latest version of Quicken. You are currently using version 7.1.0."

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Have you restarted the computer?

How are you attempting to open the file: double clicking the file in the Finder, or using menu File > Open Recent within Quicken.

How are you attempting to open the backup files? If you double click a backup file, does Quicken ask you if you want to restore the file?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I think 7.1 updates the datafile

You may want to look in the MacOS garbage/recycling bin if your former 7.0.4 version of Quicken is still there

and use it to open your datafile showing "was last opened by 7.0.4"

and try to update again to 7.1 which should rebuild the datafile for use with 7.1

Worths a try, if you are stuck

That is what I would do

Do not delete any datafile, play safe

• RickO
    Options

Yes, 7.1 does update the data file. The message that the OP is getting is what is usually seen when you try to open a newer already-updated data file with an older version of Quicken app. But the message is confirming that they are opening an older data file with the newer app, which should work just fine. The app should just announce that it is updating the file. Why that's not happening, I'm not sure.

One other thing to maybe try is to delete the current Quicken app from the computer, and then re-download and install 7.1.0 from their account at quicken.com

• agin001
    agin001 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am experiencing the same problem. Quicken attempts to update the database and then pops up a message saying the document can not be opened.

I just trashed the Quicken app (but not the preferences). Downloaded file from Quicken.com and reinstalled. Quicken asked to open the existing file and it worked. The Quicken download reinstalled version 7.0.4!

I'm running macOS Monterey 12.6.6 from a 2015 iMac.

• mark303
    mark303 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I launched Quicken 7.0.4 this morning and it asked if I wanted to upgrade to 7.1 which I did. Then I couldn't open my Quicken data file from yesterday that was using 7.0.4. I tried it several times with no success restoring to yesterday's Quicken file from Time Machine. I'm on a MacBook Air M1 (2020) running MacOS 13.4.

I then deleted Quicken from my computer and re-downloaded it from the Quicken site. I launched it but declined to update it to 7.1. With the downloaded 7.0.4, I can successfully use my data file.
  • mark303
    mark303 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just chatted with Quicken support who does not believe there's a problem with 7.1.

• agin001
    agin001 Member ✭✭
    Options

7.1.1 update results in same problem!!! Crashes when trying to update database. Where can I download 7.0.4?

• RickO
    Options

The previous versions should be in your Mac's Trash if you have not emptied it. You would also need to revert to a file not opened with a later version (which would have irreversibly updated the file). You can find the pre-update backups at (userid) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups. To open the Library folder, hold down the Option key while clicking the Go menu in the Finder.

• mwangkc
    mwangkc Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The solve for the problems with both new versions seems to be deleting one’s software and downloading a fresh copy from Quicken online that solved the problem on 7.1 and 7.1.1
  • eshieh
    eshieh Member ✭✭
    Options

I ran into this today. Amazed this was first reported almost 2 weeks ago and they're still rolling out the update.

My solution was to dig into the trash to find the old Quicken App (not the data file) and revert back to 7.0.4. Deleting and re-installing from the website (as mentioned above) installed 7.1.1 and continued to fail during data file migration.

I was hoping that subscription pricing (that increases in price every year) would at least avoid blunders like this. I reported the error via the error feedback tool no less than 4 times with diagnostic files and my account info.

• Aurelius
    Aurelius Member ✭✭
    Options

The problem (for me) was that I am storing the Quicken data file in a disk image file (.dmg). I suspect the problem would occur even if the data file resides on any other volume attached to the Mac.

The Quicken data file update (to 7.1.x) REQUIRES that the data file be located on the local Mac hard drive. I moved my data file to the desktop and the data file update was successful. Once the data file update had completed, I closed Quicken and moved the file back to my normal disk image location and Quicken opens it without any issues.

I was told by support that the data file had to reside on the local hard drive for "security reasons". I'm not so sure that's the real issue. While I understand that cloud drives might create problems, it seems overly restrictive to not allow ANY other volumes to be used. I suspect the restriction is because Quicken has no easy way to know whether a volume is a cloud volume or just a local volume. It is probably an effort to reduce support issues, but I think it is ridiculous that Quicken feels they have to restrict use of alternate local volumes. Just plainly state to users that cloud volumes are not supported and end the restrictions!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Aurelius When Quicken Support says "for security", I think they mean for the integrity of your data, not security from evil-doers. Quicken lets macOS deal with the low level functions of reading from and writing to a disk. Inherently, Quicken shouldn't care where the file is located. Storing a Quicken data file on an attached hard drive is no problem. Storing on a virtual drive within a virtual machine should be no problem. Storing on a file server, like a NAS drive, or cloud storage service is where things get problematic. The problems come in with how the operating system and/or cloud storage service handles reads and writes to try to optimize performance; a service like iCloud or DropBox may move blocks of data at one time, where a modern database can be poking changes to tables and indexes scatter around the file. A cloud service doesn't deal record-by-record like a database does, so record locking or file locking by the database can get fouled up by cloud storage. That said, I would think a file on a mounted disk image would look and work the same as a local file for Quicken, but the database updater for new versions might get tripped up for some reason.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • eshieh
    eshieh Member ✭✭
    Options

Ahha. This turned out to be my issue as well. However, copying the updated file back to the image didn't work: seemingly because my .dmg is using APFS. In this case, Quicken prompted for the file password and then displayed a first time use dialog with options to create a new file or open existing ones.

Creating a new .dmg using the HFS+ Journaled file system worked. Encryption was turned on for both instances.

This discussion has been closed.