Problem Opening My Quicken File

Options
bilnog
bilnog Member ✭✭
I am unable to open my data file using the Quicken icon/app. The whirring icon never stops, so I have to use task manager to end the Quicken task.

If I go to my backup file on a thumb drive it seems to open/work without the whirring icon? I am on Windows.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Bill

Best Answer

• bilnog
    bilnog Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I wanted to let the community know that my file issue was resolved with the help of a Quicken representative. He walked me thru uninstalling and re-installing Quicken program. Thus far this has resolved my issue. I really appreciate the help from "NotACPA" and "mshiggins". Thank you!

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Starting with the drive letter, what's the FULL path to your data file? And to the backup?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• bilnog
    bilnog Member ✭✭
    Options
    Data File: C:\USERS\BILL\Documents\Quicken\Nugent2.QDF

Backup File: E:\Q06Files\Nugent2-2023-06-01.QDF-backup

Thank you.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Nothing strange there.

So, please try holding the CTRL and Shift keys while you click on the Q program icon. This should open the program with only the FILE and HELP menus available but NOT open a data file.

This test will help to determine if your issue is program based or file based.

Did the program open as expected? If so, restore from that backup via FILE, Restore a Backup File.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• bilnog
    bilnog Member ✭✭
    Options
    Using the CTRL+SHIFT keys I double-clicked the Q program icon. As you said, the program opened with only the FILE and HELP menus were available. Then I clicked on Open Quicken File. I selected restore from the backup file. That worked fine. Then I closed the program and tried to reopen using the Quicken program icon. I experienced the same issue when I tried to reopen using the Quicken program icon.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When the program shows the whirring icon, is the data file size getting bigger and bigger?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bilnog
    bilnog Member ✭✭
    Options
    I really don't get to the point of being able to see the actual data. After entering my data file password, it opens to the home screen showing the balances, but then the spinning wheel icon pops up and never goes away so I can't go any where.
  • bilnog
    bilnog Member ✭✭
    Options
    The balances showing on the home screen aren't changing so I see no evidence of the data file size getting bigger. I always hit ctrl-alt-del to end the task. Maybe I will leave it running this morning for an hour or two to see if anything happens. Open to suggestions. Thank you.
  • bilnog
    bilnog Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I wanted to let the community know that my file issue was resolved with the help of a Quicken representative. He walked me thru uninstalling and re-installing Quicken program. Thus far this has resolved my issue. I really appreciate the help from "NotACPA" and "mshiggins". Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.