Balancing bug

Options
SeanLake
SeanLake Member ✭✭
So here's what the register, says, BUT for some reason, I had to add a 1k transaction for the prior balance to equal the 12,998.14, however when I go to balance, that 1K isn't part of it so I have to not clear it. WTH?
If I remove the 1k, the balance is incorrect by exactly 1k????
Tagged:

Answers

• SeanLake
    SeanLake Member ✭✭
    Options
    If I try to go back and reconcile the 1k it keeps reflecting the 12998.14 PRIOR balance. This is so danged frustrating.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @SeanLake,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Which financial institution is this happening with? Is the account having this issue connected in Quicken, or is it one that you manually update? When did the issue start?

Its rather difficult to visualize the issue you are describing, and the screenshot you included shows balances, but doesn't show the $1k adjustment you mentioned. Usually, when you let the reconcile tool put in a balance adjustment, it will already show as a reconciled transaction. Is that not happening?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here's the deal:

The Prior Balance that you see when you reconcile a checking Account is a calculated number. It's the sum of all transactions in your Register that have an "R" in the Clr column. If your Prior Balance number is incorrect - which appears to be the case here - that means that something has happened to one (or more) of those "R" transactions, like being deleted, having the "R" changed to a blank or "c", having the amount changed from what it was originally, a transaction that didn't have that "R" in the Clr column got an "R", by mistake, and so forth.

Although the reconciliation window allows you to change the Prior Balance number that's there, that doesn't really change anything as far as the actual reconciliation goes, the program continues to use its calculated number. You need to investigate why the Prior Balance is wrong, and fix that. If the difference is a nice round $1,000 then that shouldn't be too difficult to find.

• SeanLake
    SeanLake Member ✭✭
    Options
    It was a mess. I basically just went back as far as I could. I think what happened was, quicken decided to go with the online banking, I'd not changed it to that, and so it went through and mucked up the balances of all my stuff. It's all good now, but yeah, I hate that feature.
This discussion has been closed.