New Budget Quicken assigns a budget for only one Group and I have three Groups

Options
rsyoung
rsyoung Member ✭

I have been using Quicken Deluxe for about three years now. But I have not tried the budget option. I track three different groups with Quicken. I will call them Group 1, Group 2, and Group 3. I have assigned each Category to one of these groups in the Category List.

Today, I tried the budget option. I went to Planning/Budgets. I clicked on "Get Started." I used the default Budget name (My Budget 1). I clicked Next. I selected the option "Let Quicken select my transactions categories." Then I clicked on Next. Quicken sets up and displays a budget for Group 2. But it does not show any of the categories assigned to the other two groups.

Does Quicken allow a budget for just one Group of expenses? And if so, how can I get Quicken to make a budget for Group 3 instead of Group 2?

Best Answer

• obsidianjg
    obsidianjg Member ✭✭
    Answer βœ“
    Options

I ran into the same issue. You have to recreate your groups for budget purposes. It ignores the groups you set up for categories.

😐️

Answers

• rsyoung
    rsyoung Member ✭
    Options

Following my last comment, I assumed Quicken would only set up a budget for one Category Group (bummer). I have three Category Groups. For the sake of this discussion, I have named them Group 1, Group 2, and Group 3. In my previous comment, I said Quicken only set up a budget for Group 2. But then I noticed that Group 2's actual name comes first in the alphabet. So, I changed the names and put a "1-" before Group 3. Now the name for Group 3 is "1-Group 3." Then asked Quicken to set up a new budget. As I assumed, Quicken chose "1-Group 3." But, Quicken assigned $0 for the total budget and did not list any of the Categories I assigned to "1-Group 3." I know expenditures for Quicken Categories are assigned to "1-Group 3." Why doesn't Quicken assign budget amounts for Categories in "1-Group 3?"

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would have expected that Quicken creates a new budget based on this year's transactions for all accounts that have transactions. (not sure about accounts marked "Separate")
    Do you have transactions for all categories?
    If not, use "Manage Budget Categories" to add the missing categories.

P.S.: I find that the Budget views work best when using the built-in default category groups like Personal Income and Personal Expense. But since you've already set up your own category groups, there's no reason why they shouldn't work as well.

• rsyoung
    rsyoung Member ✭
    Options

Thank you for your comment.

I have opened "Manage Budget Categories" and selected all the Categories available for "1-Group 3." But Quicken still shows a budget of $0 with no categories.

The "Credit Score" option on my Quicken Deluxe gives me an error message after I have entered all the required information. So, I assume this is one more glitch that the people at Intuit are too busy to fix.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To help us understand your issue can you please elaborate upon what you mean by ' 3 groups'? What constitutes a group?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• rsyoung
    rsyoung Member ✭
    Options

Quicken uses Personal Expenses as a Group, etc. A Group is a collection of Categories. I defined my Groups and then added Categories to each of my Groups.

I explored UKR's suggestion that Quicken likes its Groups when using Planning/Budget. So, I went to Planning/Budget/Manage Budget Categories/Options/Assign Category Groups. I reassigned Categories from Group 3 back to Personal Expenses. Then Quicken gave me a Budget.

So, Quicken ignores my custom Groups.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You learn something every day. I never before knew about budgeting groups.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• obsidianjg
    obsidianjg Member ✭✭
    Answer βœ“
    Options

I ran into the same issue. You have to recreate your groups for budget purposes. It ignores the groups you set up for categories.

😐️

This discussion has been closed.