PNC - Can't Download to Existing Accounts

CancerBoy
CancerBoy Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
I have four Accounts with PNC Bank - three of which I track in Quicken for Windows. When I try to link the accounts, the correct accounts are identified by PNC, but Quicken won't let me link two of them to existing accounts. Under "Actions" I don't have any choices for these two accounts. The screen just shows "Don't Add to Quicken" while trying to ink my credit card to my (Quicken) mortgage account and my checking account to my (Quicken) Boat Loan Account (See Attached)

In case it is relevant, transactions from the checking account are post to BOTH the correct account (checking) AND the wrong account (Boat Loan)

I've been living with half-a**ed downloads from PNC for years and thought the recent announcement of changes in the interface would solve these [problems. Instead- I just got different problems.

ANY advice on solving/avoiding this would be greatly appreciated,

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Here is your file that has been edited to add some notes that might help in understanding how this process works and what the possible issues are (that I see):

This matching process during the Add Account, Set Up Now, Reset Account or Reauthorize (for EWC+ accounts) used to work much more reliably in the past but, IMHO, has become quite unreliable and troublesome, especially when with EWC+ connections.

It is also my opinion that the matching issues is primarily a Quicken issue and generally not a Financial Institution issue. My reasoning on this is that when I see issues like this and when I cancel the process and start over I will often get different match results and sometimes all of the matches then are correct. This indicates that Quicken is mishandling the downloaded data. Also, if this were an issue with just one Financial Institution one might be able to argue it is an issue with what the Financial Institution is downloading but it happens with more than just PNC so this just is not, IMO, a PNC issue.

At any rate, if you do feel that the "Don't add…" accounts in the Action column really are matched incorrectly to the wrong accounts, then back out of the process, deactivate those accounts and and start the process over, again. I might be wrong but I doubt that is the issue and I suspect that the issue is with the "Link to existing" is matched to the incorrect account.

Let me know if you have any questions and if any of this helped you resolve the issue you are seeing.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

Here is your file that has been edited to add some notes that might help in understanding how this process works and what the possible issues are (that I see):

This matching process during the Add Account, Set Up Now, Reset Account or Reauthorize (for EWC+ accounts) used to work much more reliably in the past but, IMHO, has become quite unreliable and troublesome, especially when with EWC+ connections.

It is also my opinion that the matching issues is primarily a Quicken issue and generally not a Financial Institution issue. My reasoning on this is that when I see issues like this and when I cancel the process and start over I will often get different match results and sometimes all of the matches then are correct. This indicates that Quicken is mishandling the downloaded data. Also, if this were an issue with just one Financial Institution one might be able to argue it is an issue with what the Financial Institution is downloading but it happens with more than just PNC so this just is not, IMO, a PNC issue.

At any rate, if you do feel that the "Don't add…" accounts in the Action column really are matched incorrectly to the wrong accounts, then back out of the process, deactivate those accounts and and start the process over, again. I might be wrong but I doubt that is the issue and I suspect that the issue is with the "Link to existing" is matched to the incorrect account.

Let me know if you have any questions and if any of this helped you resolve the issue you are seeing.

• CancerBoy
    CancerBoy Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much for the reply.

Unfortunately, the "Add Account" screen where you show your comments, does NOT allow changes. So I can't, for example. change the "Don't Add to Quicken" to anything else. I'm stuck with Quicken's suggested actions.

Following up on your last sentence, however led me to a resolution. I had to remove to direct connection that in the accounts that Quicken wanted me to use ("Mortgage" and "Boat Loan" in this case). After doin g this, I did successfully connect the two cash accounts. Still having a problem with the credit card account, but I've had this issue with PNV for several years. I'll just continue to live with that.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2023

If something is not editable it is a good indication that Quicken's logic has high confidence it is matched correctly. You will notice that I did not shade any of the "Don't add to Quicken" because in most cases it is correct. My first reaction when I see "Don't add to Quicken" is to double check everything in the row prior to that. Fix those (if they appear to be wrong) or if they appear to be right move on to the next row.

There are times where a field match is wrong and it is not editable. In those cases, as was mentioned in my prior post, cancel the setup process and try setting it up, again, from the beginning. It is not uncommon that some or all of the errors will be corrected when the process is started all over from the beginning, again.

I'm glad you got 2 of the accounts straightened out and working correctly.

Regarding the credit card: PNC has quite a few different setup links to select from. I've heard (I don't know for sure because I do not have a PNC credit card) is that one must use the link for PNC Card Services Online. Using other links, such as PNC Bank - Virtual Wallet or PNC Bank - Direct Connect with credit cards is problematic and produces inconsistent and unexpected results. Have you set up or tried setting up your credit card with PNC Card Services Online?

This discussion has been closed.